I am speculating, Steve, based on experience, both with Indians, and with the
TM movement.

No one who has ever worked for the TM movement for "room and board plus course
credit" and then had that course credit taken away on a whim by Maharishi
because his cash flow was low will ever believe what they read in a TMO press
release.

I have no doubts that many of the pandits there, having been immersed in a TM
"We're the greatest because we alone are saving the world" environment for
years, feel as if they are there for a Cosmic Purpose, doing something valuable
and wonderful. I mean, look at Lawson, who, as I understand it, has never
worked for the TM movement in his life, but spends an inordinate amount of his
time arguing about the absolute supremacy of TM on the Internet. There is just
no accounting for True Believers and the things they do.

No, I don't know for sure that my jaundiced view of the "pandit program" is
correct, but I contend that it is a reasonable extrapolation of the facts as
presented so far. The pandits ARE recruited in their pre-pubescence from poor
families who can barely afford to support them, and they ARE essentially sold
into indentured servitude by their parents (they can't be held responsible for
the decision, because they're minors) for the promise of $150 per month plus
(hopefully) an education for their sons. They ARE paid only $50 per month, the
$150 (hopefully) going to their parents. They ARE being paid *at most* $2.50 an
hour to perform services that the TM organization then charges thousands and
tens of thousands of dollars for. All of these things are FACTS, even if you
believe the TM press releases.

I'm suggesting that this is a human rights travesty, and that those who condone
it are lower than the lint in a snake's navel.

Your mileage may vary.