 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: No Mantra will cure willfully arrogant stupidity
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 3:07 PM

 No Mantra will cure willfully arrogant
 stupidity? Hmmm, seems like that's the
 sort of thing meditation was designed for. Is it too late for a
 refund?
 don't know why you people get so upset at a few
 inconvenient facts. I'm an athiest and I loved the puja,
 all that bowing and singing and incense, just like some sort
 of religious thing but not a religious thing because it was
 all in foreign and quite enjoyable anyway, so why would it
 matter? Unless you are some sort of religious person who has
 what they are allowed to do proscribed by someone else, but
 who would admit to that? As the TM teacher said: if you like
 ceremonies it's a nice one. If you don't, it's a
 short one. And besides, I wanted to get my hands on the
 enlightenment and the supernatural powers the book promised,
 so I would have sat through a hymn service at the local
 church. Almost.
 Anyhoo's, I don't remember any god doing
 anything for me lately so I conclude that the origin of
 mantras is irrelevant, and also about as irrelevant as other
 TMO teachings I had plowed into me like the "fact"
 that most of classical Indian literature happens to be
 present in my body in some, unspecified, way. Which seems to
 me about as religious a statement as you could
 possibly make.
 Coincidentally, you can cure people of any health
 problem at all by chanting the relevant section of something
 called the ved at the unwell part of the body in another
 undoubtably secular (and not cheap) ceremony in order to
 redress the balance. According to the latest
 "discoveries" of Maharaja Raja Raam (Tony to his
 friends) the reason we get ill in the first place is because
 the battles of the Ramayana are being fought out in our
 bodies. Astounding. Order me an obviously secular yagya
 immediately!
 But
 mantras I don't care about. I mean, obviously
 they come from some hindu or pre-hindu teaching, all
 this stuff does and all this stuff is ancient. The question
 is, why would that be a surprise to
 anybody?

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...>
 wrote :

 Recently I
 have read here on FFL an argument professed by former
 TM’ers who stopped
 practicing because they claimed they were deceived about the
 "meaning" of mantras.
 I don't
 believe anyone has stopped for that reason. Usually they
 quit because they don't think like it or don't think
 it has enough reward for the time
 invested.
 Some people
 seem to take to it like ducks to water and become full of
 flashy experiences and evangelical zeal, I know I did. Go
 figure.....