Thank you for these beautiful points, Ann. Now I'll do the Libra thing and
mention how ancient people would eat various body parts of slain enemies to
ingest their courage, etc. Go figure!

On Friday, April 4, 2014 9:05 AM, "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com"
<awoelfleba...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Share, I think you can find all manner of opinions about communion.  I just
mentioned that as one comment  I once heard.

As rituals go,it seems okay to me.  Is it hurting anyone?  Not that I can see.
Does it bring people some measure of comfort, or spiritual upliftment? It seems
to.

There was a theoophist, C.W. Leadbetter, (yes, the same one  MJ regularly
castigates), who said that the whole ritual leading up to the communion
involves angels creating a sort of celestial altar culminating in the actual
communion.

So, there's a comment on the other end of the spectrum.

My wife and kids regularly get communion.

"Communion" is an apt word. There are lots of ways of coming into contact or
communion with a thing and many of them physical. Eating something or making
love to someone places those entities, the subject, as close as you can get to
really being inside yourself. This is a really good example of a willingness to
hold that person or that thing as close to you as physically possible (being
actually inside). So, it is a powerful image and a powerful show of willingness
to be in total communion with a thing. Eating the body and drinking the blood
of Christ is rather symbolic and not the same (for me) as eating the arm of my
husband so I have no problem with the concept or actual practice of Holy
Communion in the context of the Catholic Church (I am Catholic, although not
practicing).

Steve, I didn't know that about Communion, that some people think of it as
cannabalism. I can see how they might think that. As for me, I've never been
comfortable having some of the wine, which is allegedly become the blood of
Christ.

Maybe the early Christians morphed what Jesus did at the Last Supper to
something more similar to what the pagans were doing. Similar to how they stole
some of the pagan holidays.

What I look forward to is when the huge field of neuroscience,
psychoneuroendocrinology, etc. can provide some plausible explanations for some
of our so called spiritual experiences. I mean, is the love of a mother for
her newborn simply a chemical event precipitated by a huge increase in
oxytocin?!