Maharishi showed a lot of creativity in marketing TM. I recall reading an
article by a sociologist (I think) in the 'Skeptical Inquirer' about TM
mentioning how he completely changed the image of the movement from your basic
Hindu/Vedic base virtually over night by introducing new language, science. I
think he was fearless in trying things and also dropping things that did not
work. He did not succeed in erasing the Hindu connexions, and I suspect many
followers did not like the change to the new terminology (Charles Lutes for
example), and that might be a reason why it has acted more as a drag on the
movement than it could have, however the Hindu core of teaching, the puja etc.,
makes it difficult to cover that up. This is what is called isomorphism,
translating concepts from one set of intellectual symbols to another. Maharishi
was particularly good at that. Translating spiritual concepts to science is a
dangerous game because science requires a higher standard of belief, and the
lax approach to evidence in religion and spirituality in general is a great
handicap.

 Maharishi was more modern than those 50 years younger, always moving forward,
showing infinite flexibility.

 As much as people want to dump on Maharishi as being some secreted
ultra-traditional nationalistic hindoo-ist, the record shows they guy to be
quite a modern and spiritual human. He was incredibly consistent looking at the
whole progression as science, spirituality in consciousness, and policy as the
larger spiritual movement built through a span of time and developed to what we
see.
 -Buck

 Anartaxius writes:

 Buck, Maharishi did a lot of interesting things. In the world of science,
however, it is data and confirmation of hypotheses that drive forward. A
scientist that has a successful career is basically working to extend
knowledge, and does so by superseding, by surpassing his mentors, and in
science that means showing what your mentors did was in some way wrong, and
that the newer knowledge is less wrong (still might not be right though). The
question here is does TM and its related things accomplish what it is said to
do? Does it work uniformly or non-uniformly on those who practise it? What
percentage of practitioners truly reach the stated goals? How good is the data?
Was the data processed properly? I think the results, which were eventually
good for me, are nonetheless very uneven, and essentially, because movement
science is largely ignored by the wider community, unproved.

 Once the Heidelberg color presses were purchased [early 1970's] Maharishi
published in cycle through the decades major volumes that he edited that show
the progression of the science, thought, and programs. It was all for linking
modern science research in spirituality. He was remarkably progressive,
visionary and revolutionary all at once. I feel you guys should respect him
more as the rishi, teacher, and scientist he was.
 -Buck

 Nope. Well, Turquoiseb is in error about his 1978 assertion and you are wrong
for thinking he is right.

 I am not. I was there, and was on one of the first TM Sidhi courses, *while
working at the TM National Center*, so I am pretty aware of how these courses
were marketed and what was said about them at that time. There was NO MENTION
of any "group effect" from the TM Sidhis before I left the TM movement in 1978.

Any mention of the "Maharishi Effect" in the original 1976 Collected Papers was
added later, in editions that had been subjected to "revisionist history." The
term hadn't even been *invented* in 1976.

 If you think differently, prove it. Otherwise I have the right to consider you
as delusional as I often do anyway.

 You guys just want to hate on Maharishi at every turn. The Meissner-Like
Effect of consciousness coherence in the “Maharishi Effect” in publication goes
back to at least [ 1976 ] with the publishing of paper 98 in The Scientific
Research on Transcendental Meditation, Collected Papers, Vol 1 and its
introduction and preface in such. It was known and talked around before that on
courses and conferences as the early 1970's research was being published in a
sequence.  You guys obviously were not there.
 -Buck

 mjackson74 writes:

 I have never seen that article before - give great historical perspective -
especially the comment that they expected several thousand sidha permanently in
Fairfield - guess they got that one wrong - also love the comment about
Marshy's stretch limo.