That's silly. "The Maharishi Effect" name was coined rather late. I don't know
when he started pitching the idea that a small number of meditators could have
an effect on society, but its probably years prior tot he name being given to
the concept.

 Anticipating comments from cult apologist masters disputing this, and claiming
that the "idea" of the Maharishi Effect has been present since 1960, I
challenge you to come up with a mention of the "Maharishi Effect" *per se* in
*any* publication before 1978 (the years covered by my account below), and
applying to the TMSP *per se*, not just to "total numbers of people practicing
TM," or the old "1% of the population" idea.

The earliest mention of any "group effect" I could find after a few rounds with
Google's Advanced News Search page was this article from 1984, and that only
mentioned the buzzword in effect at the time, "super-radiance effect" --

 The Maharishi Wants Everybody to Levitate for Peace, but Some Iowans Are
Hopping Mad http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20087003,00.html

Unless you can find a publication before 1978 with a verifiable date (meaning
*not* revised later in an attempt at "revisionist history" as many of the
current TM publications have been) talking about a "mass effect" caused by the
TM-Sidhi program, and in particular using the term "Maharishi Effect," I think
my point has been made.

 Which is that the "ME" is a made-up term that was "late to the party,"
invented *long* after the TMSP had been invented and had already been marketed
for other reasons for years. My broader point is that some TM apologists have
been so trained to perform "revisionist history" in their own brains that
they'll claim it was present at the beginning of the TMSP program, *even though
they themselves weren't*.

 Besides, the old 1984 "People" article is pretty funny, given the current
state of Fairfield and the fact that the TMO can't find people to bounce around
in the domes even when they PAY them to do so...  :-)