 You make the point well, Ann.

 I don't know many who took these claims at face value, and thereby set
themselves up for disillusionment.

 Most put them in the context of a vision of possibilities and discounted
accordingly.

 And it seems strange to make the case that since, "we didn't eliminate the ago
old problems of mankind in this generation"  the whole program was a fraud.

 I poured my heart and soul into achieving those goals.  And at some point I
too became a little disillusioned, but I never felt anyone owed me anything in
this spiritual game.

 "Let a man raise himself, by himself.  Let him not destroy himself. He alone
is his own friend.  He alone, his own destroyer"  From the Bhagavad Gita.
Maybe that is what helped me.

 Well then good for you. Buyer beware and all those cliches seem to suddenly
become relevant. Now YOU make many good points in this post and I agree with
all of them. If everyone took responsibility for a reasonable amount of what
they end up going through in their lives there would be very little anger and
resentment. Face it: shit and life happen all intertwined. It is the hazards of
possessing a beating heart. That heart can either expand or it can wither and
become like a blackened, scorched thing. We all have really hard times but what
we do with them makes all the difference - in the end and even as we proceed
until that time.

 BTW, for Steve: