 I don't think you know what you're talking about, Buck, if you're saying
philosophy is sophistry. And the idea of Curtis helping us "sort this out" is
laughable. Might as well appeal to Richard Dawkins for assistance.

 I think Dawkins would be a fine person to get in on the debate. He could tell
you all about brain evolution and which parts came about when and are common to
which animals. This might give us an idea about which cognitive elements are
responsible for mystical states and to find out what cognitive threshold is
required.

 For instance, does a dog have mystical experiences? A fish, spider? I suspect
our that temporary confusion in the extra complexity in our cerebral cortex -
missing in most other animals - is responsible for these "higher" states. If,
say, dogs get them too I would think it's our metaphorical ability and
willingness to attach "god" labels that blows them out of proportion in a way
other animals obviously can't. It's the suddenness and the unusual nature of
mystic states that make them stick in the mind, LSD, meditation, it doesn't
matter where it cam from. Lawson's post give us a good indication that altering
brain functioning in some way is how to get them.

 I think there's a continuum of potential but normal consciousness, from mental
illness to things we consider godly, otherwise we are left with the possibility
that we have our constructed inner world that we take for granted plus a
different type of consciousness that pops into our heads at certain times but
is perceived internally in the same way as our normal reality is! I'm no
dualist but surely there can't be both types, a mind inseperable from our
brains but also a mystical world made of something else?

 I also think Curtis was a very clear thinker. Maybe you just disliked his
conclusions?

 Philosophy sophistry.. ., hell.  Nuomenal.  Great word, I feel we all should
be finding ways to use it as a new word bracket for really spiritual
description around the Transcendent Unified Field experience we all have here.
We proly needs CurtisDeltaBlues to come back here and sort this out as POV's
and such and such philosophical mental ontological constructs of how we gain
Knowledge.  But of course it would need more refinement.  More than just the
philosophical mind it seems nuomenal consciousness is right in the middle of
transcendental consciousness as we experience it.  An aspect of
'Self-Referral'. I am going to sleep on it.  Good nite,        -Buck

 Wiki: The noumenon / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Englishˈ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyɒ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyuː
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keym
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyɨ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyɒ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Keyn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English is a posited object or event
that is known (if at all) without the use of the senses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senses.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon#cite_note-1  [Self-referral
Transcendent?] The term is generally used in contrast with, or in relation to
"phenomenon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomena_(philosophy)", which refers
to anything that appears to, or is an object
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_(philosophy) of, the senses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_senses. In Platonic philosophy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_philosophy, the noumenal realm was
equated with the world of ideas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms
known to the philosophical mind, in contrast to the phenomenal realm, which was
equated with the world of sensory reality, known to the uneducated mind.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noumenon#cite_note-2 Much of modern philosophy has
generally been skeptical of the possibility of knowledge independent of the
senses, and Immanuel Kant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Kant gave this
point of view its classical version, saying that the noumenal world may exist,
but it is completely unknowable to humans. In Kantian philosophy the unknowable
noumenon is often linked to the unknowable "thing-in-itself" (Ding an sich,
which could also be rendered as "thing-as-such" or "thing per se"), although
how to characterize the nature of the relationship is a question yet open to
some controversy.

 Emilymae as a non-meditor here writes:
 "Scientists need to get some philosophy under their belts so they see what the
problem is."  I'm reading that Denys Turner book you posted here awhile back.
Loving it - dense as it is.  I can pick it up and open it to any place and be
surprised over and over at the way it affects me.  It's all new to me and I
find it fascinating.
 authfriend as a meditator charitably writes:

 Glad you enjoyed it, Emily. It certainly is an unusual pair of pieces to
appear in the NYTimes! Her new book, from which she adapted her piece, has
created something of a stir. From what I understand, it's completely unlike
anything she's ever written and has really startled people who were familiar
with her work and thought they knew who she was and what she stood for. Must
have taken guts to publish it.

 And so odd to for her to have had that wild experience a half-century ago but
not really have tried to come to terms with it until very recently. But it's
great to see somebody of stature saying, "WAAAIIIIIT a minute, folks, there's
more going on here than you realize. You can't just shut it out and pretend it
doesn't exist."

 On the other hand, I think Douthat nails it where scientific investigation is
concerned. We are still SO far away from understanding everyday consciousness,
let alone mystical, nuomenal consciousness. But boy, it's long past time for
science to start taking it seriously and realizing the limits of neuroscience
to figure it out. Scientists need to get some [philosophy*] under their belts
so they see what the problem is.

 [ In this case,   philosophy should=experiential-mysticism]
 -Buc

 emilymaenot writes:

 Judy, wonderful post.  I loved Ross Douthat's article.

 authfriend writes:

 A fascinating exchange of views...

 Opinion piece in the NYTimes by Barbara Ehrenreich, rationalist author and
political activist (and atheist), about the change in her perspective on life
wrought gradually over many years by a mystical experience she had as an
adolescent (note: at age 73, she's still an atheist):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/opinion/sunday/a-rationalists-mystical-moment.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/opinion/sunday/a-rationalists-mystical-moment.html

 Response by NYTimes columnist Ross Douthat (not an atheist) pointing out that
her call for science to investigate mystical experiences in depth is premature
because science doesn't yet understand ordinary experience well enough:

 http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/how-to-study-the-numinous/
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/how-to-study-the-numinous/