IN some ways,MEG is teh klukiest looking of them all. It's super-conducting
magnets next the  scalp (like EEG but with magnets instead of electrodes).

 The crazy looking thing on top is the liquid-nitrogen refrigerator that keeps
the magnets cold. Machines like that are super expensive, but can detect tiny
magnetic fluctuations of the brain that last about 1/1000 of a second. In some
ways they're more accurate than EEG, but they can only deal with magnetic
fields towards the surface of the brain, so you can't even get a fuzzy idea of
what is going on further in, like you can sorta get with the electric currents
that EEG detects.

 I'd love to see MUM get one, but the initial cost is about $3 million, plus
another $100K/year upkeep, at least, and you need a specialized magnetically
shielded room + extremely stable power source. In other words, you'd need to
spend as much as the entire MUM Student Center cost to install one.

 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/NIMH_MEG.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/NIMH_MEG.jpg

 thanks for the info, Lawson. I've never heard of MEG before. And I admit, all
these machines seem kind of clunky but if they help us see the brain better,
great.

How best can the knower know itself?