wayback, it's good to have you back (-:

You too Curtis but I have not yet read your main post. 104 emails this morning!
Oy!

On Friday, April 18, 2014 7:58 AM, "waybacki...@yahoo.com"
<waybacki...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Barry,
I did believe in God.  Then did not, although always held out hope that there
was God. Then doubted the TM concept of Being, or my take on it.  The slightly
more abstract concept works better for me. But when I give up even Being or
some sort of sense of a fundamental energy that does structure life in the
universe, then I feel some real sadness. Been struggling with this for years
now - wanting to believe in something out there, something good and loving,
while reading all the brain stuff about how we can  nudge our  brains to shift
a bit and then see and feel things that seem
spiritual/religious/universal/blissful/loving/farout.  I think much of the
struggle, for me, is giving up the idea that there is a soul and it evolves
from life to life.  I really really want that to be true!   For me, a bit of
magical thinking makes me happier.  Recently, I have let it all go and given up
on the intellectual struggle and just settled into knowing that
 there are ideas and "beliefs" that make me feel good, a deep inside my gut
feeling of "ok."    So that is where I am now - believing "more" than I did the
last 20 years, but not reverting back entirely to the TM and preTM days.  I
will continue to read all the brain stuff and enjoy it, but somehow I don't
feel there is as much of a contradiction between that and having some beliefs
that assume the universe is not only orderly but a bit caring, somehow.  How
Somehow?  I don't know.  The key is accepting "not knowing" - which leaves lots
of wiggle room and flexibility.

So, I do think there are benefits to believing - if not in God, then in
something that gives extra meaning to our lives.  Things are hard here, people
suffer, they get sick, lose  loved ones, are hungry and cold. You know.  If
belief in God or anything makes life seem softer, or gives people hope, then it
can be a good thing. and if there really is nothing at all there and we rejoin
the swirling soup of particles that make up the the universe, then having some
wishful thinking beliefs to soften the journey thru human life does have
benefits.  Community, rituals, comfort, feeling protected, giving reasons for
the harshness which makes it easier to bear.  We all know when religion is not
a good thing - if that belief narrows down the heart. But if the beliefs open
wide the person's behavior and thoughts, I think it is a great thing. Something
I would never want to take away from them.

I think you can be Christian or Jewish or whatever, believe it all, and yet
still be open and accepting.  This is good for some people. Again, I think the
key is being able to accept
"not knowing for sure,"  even with religion.  If the believer has some humility
about their knowledge and beliefs, and can admit to not knowing for sure about
the details, then it can work well. I have friends who don't believe at all, in
anything.  They are wonderful people, ethical, generous, liberal.  Yo  But
believing in something or being religious does not have to mean you are a
fundamentalist wackadoodle, either.  Most people I know who are religious are
not offended by atheism.  Uncomfortable, maybe.  But not defensive.