Fascinating. Less is generally so not more with brain injury. I've had
experience of someone close to me suffering serious brain damage, depending
which part is damaged  they generally have a period of confusion, even
psychosis, until the rest of the brain takes over whatever functions are
missing.

 I met a lot of people in various stages of recovery while helping my friend
and only one of them had their life improved,  for everyone else it's a major
struggle. She had been in a destructive relationship and had an unfulfilling
career. But then she had a stroke and it seemed to knock out that part of the
brain that kept her insecure enough not to try and change anything. After rehab
she ditched the crap bloke, retrained as a teacher and now works at the local
high school. That's very unusual though.

 And it's obviously completely different to this guys experience. Immediately I
wonder what stops the rest of us having these experiences all the time if it's
a matter of brain wiring. Here's a thought: we all have innate mathematical
abilities, they help us do the calculations to catch say, a ball in mid air, or
cycle down a path in the woods. There must be millions of complex working outs
going on subconsciously to help us deal with every aspect of life that don't
reach the threshold of consciousness.

 Maybe this guy had some part of his brain that regulates that removed or
altered in some way and he now sees the world partly how his unconscious mind
does. I'm sure we've all had that experience of someone buying a particular
type of car and suddenly we see them everywhere, it's being brought to our
attention by some unconscious process. We know that we are only conscious of
things that are deemed useful or relevant to us, maybe we could see it all but
evolution has given us only the capability we have to stop us getting
overwhelmed.

  Actually, a lot of what he says sounds like an LSD trip and that seems to
involve a breakdown between what we are normally allowed see and some
dream-creation centre taking over the running of conscious awareness. Total
speculation but like LSD, it reminds us that we only get a limited view of the
potential that is there. Interesting stuff.

 What are the implications? For the nature of consciousness, perhaps for
reincarnation?

 First paragraph of an excerpt from the book "Struck By Genius: How a Brain
Injury Made Me a Mathematical Marvel"
http://www.amazon.com/Struck-Genius-Injury-Mathematical-Marvel/dp/0544045602/?tag=saloncom08-20
 at Salon.com:

If you could see the world through my eyes, you would know how perfect it is,
how much order runs through it, and how much structure is hidden in its tiniest
parts. We’re so often victims of things—I see the violence too, the disease,
the poverty stretching far and wide—but the universe itself and everything we
can touch and all that we are is made of the most beautiful geometric patterns
imaginable. I know because they’re right in front of me. Because of a traumatic
brain injury, the result of a brutal physical attack, I’ve been able to see
these patterns for over a decade. This change in my perception was really a
change in my brain function, the result of the injury and the extraordinary and
mostly positive way my brain healed. All of a sudden, the patterns were just .
. . there, and I realize now that my injury was a rare gift. I’m lucky to have
survived, but for me, the real miracle—what really saved me—was being
introduced to and almost overwhelmed by the mathematical grace of the universe.

 Read more:
 http://www.salon.com/2014/04/20/the_brain_injury_that_made_me_a_math_genius/
http://www.salon.com/2014/04/20/the_brain_injury_that_made_me_a_math_genius/

 It's an astonishing story; I have no idea what to make of it. Seems like the
guy acquired OCD along with his new math abilities, but he doesn't seem to mind.