Thanks for mention him. Will not forget meeting him in Graz His understanding
of Hindi and music is certainly beyond Girish grasp (BTW the father in law of
the woman who has accused him of exploitation had taught Girish music in a
Jabalpur college and he was called  a family friend)In a way  this scene
described in this novel somehow resonate with the related post  I sent Share
actually answering Buck’s inquiring.

 Doesn’t it goes like this in this novel (but.. but.. do not forget to scroll
down to the end of the quote in my second post) :
 « According to devout Hindus, a visit to Jothimath and the nearby temple of
Badrinath on the border of Tibet are enough for spiritual release or moksha. In
the great Hindu tradition of pilgrimage, millions of devotees come here every
summer. The head monk of the Jothimath monastery is called Shankaracharya. He
teaches meditation, too. It definitely releases your stress, so even
non-believers cone here to learn meditation.
 For example, the famous Shankaracharv Swami Brahmananda. taught it to his own
disciple Mahesh. The Brahmin swami was charismatic himself, but nowhere close
to his non-Brahmin disciple. After the death of his guru, Mahesh took
meditation out to the world. He modified its name to include his own:
Transcendental Meditation and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the Sanskrit word is
Maharshi "great sage.").
 "I learned TM from a disciple of the Maharishi. He never recommended
meat-eating. But he was championing the Vedic culture..."

 "Everybody knows him as the guru of the Beatles. Even the Paharis know him. He
lived for years in the monastery of Jothimath. and then he established the
meditation colony between Rishikesh and Dehradun."
 "You mean the Shankaracharya Nagar?"
 "Yes, after his teacher's title. Only the Garhwal Maharajas founded new towns
or nagars after their names: Srinagar. Kirtinagar, Narendra Nagar...It's
amazing how the Maharishi got that kind of money!"
 "That's an interesting question." I said, because I saw one of his interviews.
An American talk show host wondered about his big money. The Maharishi was
quick to answer, "You can see. I have no pockets!" He spread his hands from his
chest downward. He meant his dhoti. the plain long white cloth he had on his
body. The entire audience laughed. The host saw no pockets on his clothing and
did not ask again about money.
 "But he did have a lot of money," Shib Dutt said. "Usually most people need
more money, especially if they have children. The Maharishi has no children. He
is a monk. A monk who is a non-meat-eater, non-drinker, non-night-lifer,
non-suitor-booster does not need that big money. He spent that money in
propagating his TM. His wording. Transcendental Meditation for dhyana turned
out good for publicity. Quite a smart move...I mean, meditation or dhyana is
the seventh stage of the standard yoga, and the eighth and last is samadhi. The
eighth definitely transcends the seventh. He mixed both under TM. Altogether,
Maharishi was very good at the guru business. Rishikesh-Hardwar area has the
biggest baba-bazaar of the world. Here you can shop around for big babas. Don t
you think he beats all those holy men? "
 In my head, the same question was reverberating, so I asked him, "The
Maharishi lived in Garhvval for so many years. He would have been the
Shankaracharya at Jothimath."
 "No. He was denied that title. He w as not a Brahmin. His Kayasth caste
disqualified him. He would have been a better Shankaracharya than either of
those two quarreling Brahmin Shankaracharyas though."
 "Yes. I heard of the two Shankaracharv as who went to the Allahabad High Court
to settle the claim." I said to show my familiarity with the court case.
 "The Maharishi could have claimed that position," Shib Dutt said, slapping his
thigh for emphasis.
 "But then the Maharishi could have challenged the caste system. Some even
believe that the Kayasth caste does not fit in the traditional varna system."
 "It is an irony that the Maharishi accepted the worthless caste system.The
Gîta was his favorite scripture. He never challenged its support of the varna.
He was a student of physics. Shouldn't he have debunked the claim of Krishna as
the head of Nature as simply a myth created by the Brahmin men?"
 "It's not easv to overcome the male chauvinism of thousands of years. I
understand what vou mean. Krishna is masculine and Prakriti is feminine.This
feminine Nature does everything by His will. So it implies that the ultimate
boss of any woman las to be a male. Krishna could have said. 'All of us.
including me, are govcrncd by Nature's laws.' He didn't. His voice is male."
 ..... "Mahesh Yogi would have lost his popular appeal in India if he had
questioned the Gita-chauvinism. He was a clever man. His opinions resonated
very well. How could he fool people into believing that mass meditation with
mantras causes world peace? Devotees in huge numbers have been praying for ages
in temples. Many of them were killed when the fanatic invaders demolished the
temples. That historical evidence did not diminish people's belief in mantras.
 Mahesh Yogi knew that very well. Meditation by mantra resonated. And it worked
in his favor. He sold one mantra per customer of TM."
 I understood. »