Re " I'd be interested to know what they [Tennyson's quotes] mean to people who
have never had any sort of transcendent experience. Is there any sense of
recognition or just interest?":

 An early biographer mentions these quotes but clearly had no idea what
Tennyson was on about. He took the statements as being *arguments* for
philosophical idealism - he was unable to escape his rationalist mindset and
see that the poet was talking about lived experience, as obvious as that is to
you and I.

 Perhaps Tennyson was fated to be an army officer fighting for the Empire but
the "mantra" Alfie he repeated from his youth was found pleasing to Saraswati
and she turned his finer consciousness towards poetry . . . I don't take this
last statement literally but I wouldn't rule out the idea that his regular
"meditation" sessions did awaken a latent ability in him.

 Very nice. I've come across a few obvious references to spontaneous spiritual
breakthroughs myself. I like finding them because the writer is obviously moved
by the experience and feels the need to include them in a book so their
characters can get the benefit of a deeper look at life or sense of the wonder
beyond what we think is normality.

 I shall look them out and post them as they are always good descriptions from
poetic types that have the ability to encapsulate the moment. I'd be interested
to know what they mean to people who have never had any sort of transcendent
experience. Is there any sense of recognition or just interest? I can't
remember ever noticing them before I got into meditating.

 Victorian poet Tennyson seems to have stumbled upon TM before MMY took out the
copyright on the name. Take this quote of his:

 "A kind of walking trance I have frequently had, quite up from boyhood, when I
have been all alone. This has often come upon me through repeating my own name
to myself silently till, all at once, as it were, out of the intensity of the
consciousness of individuality, the individuality itself seemed to dissolve and
fade away into boundless being; and this not a confused state, but the clearest
of the clearest, the surest of the surest, the weirdest of the weirdest,
utterly beyond words, where death was an almost laughable impossibility, the
loss of personality (if so it were) seeming no extinction, but the only true
life."

 I love that line: "where death was an almost laughable impossibility".

 Here's a (clearly autobiographical) passage from Ancient Sage . . .

 And more, my son! for more than once when I
Sat all alone, revolving in myself
The word that is the symbol of myself,
The mortal limit of the Self was loosed,
And past into the Nameless, as a cloud
Melts into heaven. I touch'd my limbs, the limbs
Were strange, not mine--and yet no shade of doubt,
But utter clearness, and thro' loss of Self
The gain of such large life as match'd with ours
Were Sun to spark--unshadowable in words,
Themselves but shadows of a shadow-world.

  And here's another quote to show how vitally important the experience was to
him:

 "Yes, it is true there are moments when the flesh is nothing to me, when I
feel and know the flesh to be the vision, God and the spiritual—the only real
and true. Depend upon it, the spiritual is the real; it belongs to one more
than the hand and the foot. You may tell me that my hand and my foot are only
imaginary symbols of my existence. I could believe you, but you never, never
can convince me that the I is not an eternal reality, and that the spiritual is
not the true and real part of me."

 I wonder what his "mantra" was:
 "The word that is the symbol of myself" and "Repeating my own name to myself
silently".

 Did he repeat "Alf" or "Alfie" or what? "AaaaaaalPheeeeeeee" sounds like it
would make an acceptable mantra! We need some clever chap to create a universal
mantra program on the Web. You type in the syllables and the program lets you
know what effect the vibrations would have on your nervous system.