 I still think you're painting with too broad a brush when you use the term
"society." Some elements of society take the position you describe, but others
do not.

C: Seems like a reasonable objection.

 J: And the negative reaction to criticism from atheists has a great deal to do
with its hostility quotient. Simple disagreement doesn't tend to provoke the
same response as "And you're stupid to believe this."

C: Since Madalyn O'hair for whom this was true, I haven't seen this argument
from any of the modern atheists. Which books have you read from them? I have
seen them say that certain ideas like a 5,000 year old earth are stupid, but
that is only because it really is.

Given the barrage of death threats and ad hominem attacks that vocal atheist
face, I think you might be holding them to a higher standard than you are the
religious side. Check out some of the debates with religious people with Sam
Harris. You will see much of his time spent deflecting personal attacks during
a supposed discussion of ideas. I think you are putting the blame for this on
the atheist as if they somehow deserve this abuse. I have seen numerous debates
where this is not the case that the atheist started the personal attacks. I
have even experienced it here on FFL in discussions. Who fires the first shot
is perhaps a debatable point but in any case being stupid is not an atheist
talking point about a god belief. It is that it is an idea with poor reasons
supporting it.

Personally I don't believe people who believe in some god are stupid since I
have met people I consider smarter than I am who do. But whenever I have had a
discussion with them about it I have found their acknowledgement that  they
have chosen to take a leap of faith and acknowledge that this choice is beyond
reason. I respect that.

I do not respect people who deny evolutionary science or try to get theological
perspectives on creation into science curriculums in schools.

 J:Plus which, some of the most vocal atheists these days are also often quite
ignorant about what religious belief entails. Not making the effort to acquaint
oneself with what one is criticizing is perceived to be a function of
intolerance, and rightly so, IMHO. Rather than facilitating "full open
discussion," it tends to slam the door on it. Those who most prominently speak
for atheism need to get their act together, as far as I'm concerned (and
speaking as a nonreligionist).

C: One of the problems I learned from our Feser discussions is that atheists
don't care about obscure ontological arguments about a god since it is the
epistemological jumps that cause all the problems. As I pointed out, it is rare
to find someone who does not include Aquinas in their classical version of god
and this brings in the aspect of agency and interaction of god with the world
and particularity with specific communications with mankind through certain
books. That is the issue that concerns atheists.

And once that jump has been made, the epistemological difference between an
abstract spirit god who can still guide the hand of the writers (and
translators) of the Bible and a fully decked out white bearded dude are
insignificant. I know religious people make a big fuss about these distinctions
and it rankles them to see what they think of as a more sophisticated version
lumped in with versions they feel above intellectually. But once communication
with a being with a personal agenda and ability to communicate that agenda to
mankind specifically is claimed, these cherished distinctions  are all a moot
point. The bone of contention for atheists revolves around how we could be
confident that this human claim is true or not. What is the claim based on. Not
the imagined details of the being itself or himself or herself. The burden of
proof is all on the man making the claim. Those other detail are all
distractions to the epistemological issues.  None of them improve or even hurt
those knowledge issues. They are simply irrelevant to the real problem.

No atheist I have read would have a problem with the kind of god that has zero
interaction with humanity. That is just a speculation with zero consequences to
the issues that concern atheists about the influence of the different god
beliefs in societies around the world.

 Curtis, you way overstate the case. In this country, at least, there's oodles
of criticism of biblical ideas, including ideas at the heart of Christian
belief. Ever heard of the Jesus Seminar? And a currently popular book, "How
Jesus Became God," maintains that the idea of Jesus as God developed very much
after the fact, that it was never anything Jesus said about himself. Those are
just two examples of many.

 And I doubt you're going to find a whole lot of people who advocate slavery
because the Bible does.

 Sure, there's always pushback, but to suggest that it's enough to suppress all
criticism and challenge is just not supported by the facts.

C: Your POV seems just as valid. It also marks out the difference in a society
between our liberal democracy with the dominant religion being a more modern
reformed one compared to Islamic dominant societies. So point taken. There is
plenty of direct criticism about things in the Bible in our country.

But this is not the point of critique Harris is launching. Religious ideas and
scripture are still held as a special class of human knowledge no matter where
you fall on the spectrum between your point and mine. In no other area is the
idea of a hands off criticizing the ideas directly tied to a concept of
religious tolerance.

Lets take racism directly. If you say anything racist , even if you tie it to
the Bible you get condemned by the majority of society. But if you attack the
Bible as being a man made piece of literature full of outdated nonsense the
same society will attack you for being intolerant of religion and a bigot.
Watching how society has reacted to atheists through time illustrates my point.
 So these ideas are still held in a protected class of ideas where full open
discussion is not only discouraged, it is shamed as being similar to racism.
(It happens to atheists all the time.)

Now we may not find a lot of people who advocate slavery because the Bible does
but how many people want to deny gay rights because of the Bible?

So I am not disagreeing with your objection as wrong, It is just not how I am
seeing it as we both value the propositions of truth as we see it in each
others statements.

 The other thing religion adds to the human tendency to power grab is to
deflect criticism about the ideas they are spreading because it is shielded by
the "don't criticize religious ideas directly" ban. Harris agrees with your
analysis of the extremists but he places the blame on the moderates for
shielding them behind the odd way we treat religious ideas. If they came out
and said that this part of the Koran is wrong, or if Christians did this with
the Bible we could have a discussion of ideas like we do with everything else
in human knowledge. But both of these books are shielded from direct criticism
by the idea that they are different from all other human produced literature
containing ideas. There are scripture and God's hand was in their production.
And the weird thing is that each religion only accepts their own god book as
authoritative, not the other guy's. But they still protect the other guy's
divine right of non criticism so that people wont challenge the absurd claim
they are making about their own god book. Harris is against this collusion of
ignorance.

If you take out a section of the Bible that advocates slavery and say, this is
stupid and wrong you will be accused of being religiously intolerant rather
than just pointing out a stupid and wrong idea some man wrote. This is the
battle Harris is picking, not the ultimate cynicism about the leader's
motivations.