From: "curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

While I agree with you that the problem is probably unresolvable at this point
because 1) there are too many guns already to ever be "controlled," 2) there
would be a huge black market of them if they ever *were* truly controlled,  and
3) Americans really *do* have a "people problem" that is larger
than its gun problem, I was nonetheless horrified that the gun manufacturers
and the NRA could be so crazy as to try to use the "smart gun" thing to make
guns MORE available. And to argue that owning a "smart gun" should allow the
person who owns it to get on a plane with it. That speaks to me of a country
beyond repair, and possibly beyond the hope of rehabilitation.

I completely agree with you that if a child (or anyone) dies as the result of a
gun kept in the home, at the hands of one of their children, both parents
should be tried for murder and spend the rest of their lives in prison. And I
do feel fortunate to live in a country that avoided the gun insanity that
America fell prey to.

C: Holland has just under 17 million people and the US has about 313 million.
Comparing countries problems has a bit of a built in bullshit factor. We are a
way more diverse culture with many built-in problems European countries are
just starting to have to deal with on a much smaller scale.

I'm going to have to quibble with the "bullshit factor" comment, Curtis. Yes,
the Netherlands has fewer overall people than the U.S., and yes, it has fewer
guns because owning and carrying guns *never* gained a foothold here the way it
did in the U.S.

But Amsterdam actually has a significantly *higher* population density than
Washington, DC (12,670/sq mi as opposed to Washington's 9,316.4/sq mi). Seems
to me that we should be able to compare gun homicide statistics in two cities
of a similar density.

Doing so, I find that in 2010 the average rate of gun homicides in Washington,
DC seems to have been 21.9 per 10,000 people and the average rate of gun
homicides in Amsterdam seems to have been 0.29 per 10,000 people. That puts
Washington's rate about *75 times higher* than Amsterdam's.

So I'm back to "America has a people problem."

Here is an interesting point from 2005 gun death study:

"gun murders comprise less than a third of that total -- about 9,000 per
year in recent years. With accidental gun deaths steady at around
500-600 per year, the bulk of those 32,000 "gun deaths" are suicides. "

Of the murder rate, which had been steadily falling, it is estimated that 1/3
to 1/2 are drug related. Prohibition raises its ugly head again.

Could more access to mental health help stop some of those suicides? Maybe.

We're back to Andy Borowitz' perceptive one-liner:

I'm sure there are many advantages of living outside the US. But if you are not
in the drug business or feel like killing yourself, getting shot is probably
the least of my problems!

True.

But how about the issue of "feeling safe?" I haven't felt *unsafe* walking
anywhere, at any time of day or night, in any city I've lived in or visited in
Europe since I moved here in 2003. This statement includes *supposed*
high-crime areas of Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, and Marseilles. Hearkening
back to what I said earlier about population density, Paris' is one of the
highest in Europe, at 55,000/sq mi. And still no feelings of being unsafe,
anywhere.

That *absence* of the near-constant fear of random crime is one of the best
parts of living outside the U.S. Yes, there are places on the planet that are
worse, but that doesn't alter the fact that the country that considers itself
"the best" in so many things is one of the most dangerous to its own citizens
on the planet.

One of the things I don't miss is that near-constant fear. People in big cities
in America just get used to it, so much so that they don't realize that they're
walking around in an adrenalin-pumped-up state all the time, with part of their
awareness always wasted sustaining low-level fight-or-flight mode. Somehow I
don't think this is the "reduction of stress" Maharishi promised to the country
that has the highest percentage of TMers.
      • [Fairf... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [Fairf... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]