TurquoiseB wrote:

>http://charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html
>
>For those of you who are developers, or just interested
>in computers, here is an extremely funny and wonderful
>and spot-on talk by computing pioneer Charles Petzold.
>I enjoyed it for its own merits and humor, but at the
>same time I found myself relating his reservations about
>Visual Studio's tendency to "do things for us," and in
>less than optimal ways, to discussions we've had here
>about spiritual traditions doing the same thing.
>
>"Beam me up Scotty" only works -- if it ever does -- if
>Scotty knows what he's doing.  In this talk, the person
>who literally wrote the book(s) on programming Windows
>points out that Scotty doesn't have a clue, but insists
>on trying to beam us up anyway.

Long article, which I will read later but *will* also forward to some
friends who worked on the Visual Studio team. ;-) (And I've heard many
war stories about that project).   They were well aware of "the kids"
who only knew how to write code by letting VS do it for them.  VS is
nice but I have to use GNU C for most of my projects as they are on
embedded systems.    I also recently read a rant from another old timer
about how young developers don't know how to write compact operating
systems anymore making it difficult to write software for new devices.
An NDA keeps me from spouting my currant rant. :)