levitate, you'd think you were insane and then you'd get scientific
about levitation. But your ability to get scientific about it would be
limited to the current knowledge about it.
On Friday, May 23, 2014 9:38 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

Salya,I think it's reported that many saw him levitate.

Many

It means nothing to me.

Would it if you had been one of them?

Ah well, that would be different. Perhaps I should clarify what I meant: it's
the claims of people who died 500 years ago that mean nothing. We simply don't
know what they meant, it might have been that he appeared so consumed with
holiness he looked like he might be pulled up to heaven, and the story just got
so exaggerated between the disciples and the only guy in the area who could
write that it started to be taken literally. People had a crazy reverence for
the church in those days.

 Maybe the rumours were started by the church to get more donations. And then
there's the way culture operated in those days, we don't know what role stories
might have played and religious myths in particular. Things that people did
even 120 years ago can catch us out now. For instance there used to be stories
of mysterious airships reported in papers all over America. Nowadays it's seen
by the Nabby's of the world as proof that UFOs have been around longer than we
thought. The truth is more mundane, what we forgot is that a popular pastime in
those days before TV were Liars clubs, where gents would meet and make up tall
tales and the best would get sent down the wires as true the next day.

So without knowing how society functioned in an age where people thought
ecstasy could overrule the laws of physics we can't really interpret rumours of
floating with any accuracy. There's too much time and evolution of culture for
us to be sure what they meant. That's why it means nothing. The plural of
anecdote isn't data, as we all know...

I mean, ponder this. That's the situation I find myself in. We agree on SO many
things, and I am in many ways as jaded a scientific heretic as you, and yet
I've seen someone levitate. Many times. In many
settings, from the Los Angeles Convention Center to the Anza-Borrego Desert to
a Denny's restaurant in the wee hours of the night.

I think I've said this before but I'd love to have been there as it sounds like
a great party. I've had no actual experience of anyone I would call a spiritual
teacher, I just got the old Marshy tapes and didn't like them much - occasional
inspiration but mostly sleep inducing. I bet it would have been different if
I'd been there in the early days, that sounds like fun too. But hanging around
in the desert has always been my particular cup of earl grey.

While I completely agree that someone else's claim of seeing something like
this is Just Another Claim, and thus carries no weight, being the claimant is
sometimes interesting.  :-)

I'm sure I would first doubt my sanity if I saw someone levitate, then I'd have
to try and get scientific about it - if that's even possible.

But what strikes me as odd - and a bit sad - is that TMers have to look back so
far into the non-Hindu past to get validation of levitation. There they sit in
the domes day after day, on the highest path, and doing a technique given to
them by apparently the greatest spiritual teacher ever and NO ONE has floated.
Must be a drag to have to evoke saint-whatever instead of turning round and
looking at the guy next to you bang his head on the ceiling.

Never mind, practise makes perfect ;-)