Part of the reason why Maharishi managed to usher in the Age of Enlightenment
was just this; he invited the "assholes" into his organization to neutralize
the enormous stress they represented. Most evident in stress related to post
WWII. Many of these people were very dangerous to themselves, others and to the
Movement but little by little Maharishi managed to neutralize the wicked
energy. Maharishi was very brave and even let many be physically close to him
for 50 years.
 "The major enemies of the Movement are not from outside but within the
Movement" - Maharishi

 Not really true at all, MJ. The logic is backwards. If you consider it,
Maharishi is one of the few teachers to have established a legacy that
continues quite successfully, on the basis of what he taught, vs. who he was.
If you compare Maharishi to other teachers, including UGK, the importance to
Maharishi, was clearly that there remain a reliable avenue on the planet, to
achieve full spiritual liberation, vs. a means to adore him, after his death.
And for teachers like Lenz, he apparently was a teacher by proximity only, and
left nothing enduring behind, except, perhaps, Barry's enduring confusion.

 Did Maharishi attract some major assholes into his organization? Of course he
did, but I personally don't link that, to the idea that his technique doesn't
work. Similarly, there are undoubtedly assholes employed by Hewlett Packard,
that have no effect on the successful performance of my PC. Yes, undoubtedly,
there were some really mean, petty, sadistic, and spiteful, and possibly even
hateful, people working in Maharishi'[s organization - the same as in any
other. My experience with spiritual organizations is that they make the
back-biting, competition, and underhandedness, of a political org. or
corporation, look like kid's play. Luckily, I spotted it, in time.

 My two cents for you, MJ. Don't let the assholes get you down, and they don't
all exist in Maharishi's organization, either. All you can do is stand up for
yourself, and don't put yourself at the mercy of those with bad intentions. If
given a choice I enjoy having an open heart. However, if I must, I will guard
it, while at the same time, ensuring that I give, as good as I get. My daughter
and I were talking about that the other day - that sometimes, instead of
turning the other cheek, you must personally deliver negativity right back to
its source, and on its own terms.