---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 Well, they likely were "believers."

 Brian Josephson (I believe he's there in that group) continues to conduct
research at Cambridge based on Maharishi's teachings, even 45 years after that
discussion happened.

 Good for him, I'm all for paranormal research and judging by his wiki page he
really has believed in a lot ideas that turned out to be nonsense -
psychokinesis, telepathy, levitation, precognition, cold-fusion. 45 years
without a positive would be enough for most people but he's still at it. I bow
to his dedication,  I gave up on it a long time ago but you never know your
luck.

 There aint no harm in exploring bizarre ideas, someone's got to do it, if all
avenues aren't explored we'll never be certain of what we do know. He has had
some heavy duty critics though, Prof Wiseman has also done a lot of research
into the paranormal. The trick with it is to stop when you haven't had a hit
ever. Believing that you've found someone who can see in x-rays is just stupid
though and it shows that he puts his wants before his rationale.

 By the way, the meeting was several days long, I believe. Different parts of
it are available online. You're looking at one single question and answer as
though it were the entire meeting.

 What, your saying that Marshy actually answered a question with knowledge that
couldn't have been gained by any other way? Or maybe that he explained the
parameters of difference in knowledge in other states of consciousness?

 It would be interesting to hear how something rigid, testable and independent
of the human experience could have different origins and outcomes and even
different meanings within the context of physics. You know, some sort of
quantum entangled view of time as an illusion caused by supposed entropy that
is really some sort of systematic unfoldment of experience and reality being
both the same thing and impossible to separate from our consciousness.

 That'd be good, but as far as I know he never touched on any of it, I think I
would have noticed if he'd said something actually interesting but I think he
was winging it. Maybe someone could post a link to the rest?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 We have different perspectives.

 You can't have different "perspectives" on math. 2+2=4 no matter what your
EEG's are doing.

 Answering "not a clue, sorry" certainly would have lowered his standing as a
teacher, so instead he chose to answer a different question.

 I can see that it would have lowered his standing amongst people who thought
he knew something about physics.

 But yes, spiritual types will take any old drivel without supporting evidence
so it doesn't matter what he says I suppose, as long as it sounds mystical
they'll go home satisfied.

 Personally, I think saying "I don't know" is both a sign of humility and
advanced behaviour. There is no shame in ignorance. I'm amazed he got away with
it so long actually, but then he's got no end of otherwise intelligent people
defending him...

 By the way, you complained about how any "real" physicist would have seen how
bogus his answer was...

 You're aware who he was addressing, right? Not just the person asking the
question, but who else was sitting in that discussion?

 Yeah, so what? I still didn't notice any discussion.

 And for that I can see only two reasons, A: they are a bunch of True Believers
or B: They didn't want to embarrass him for his obvious lack of knowledge.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 He gave a higher-order answer.

 He didn't answer at all. Whether entropy increases or decreases requires a Y/N
response. Someone's opinion of the origin of the universe is irrelevant, the
answer is the same because the answer can be expressed mathematically. Does the
speed of light or the charge of electrons change because someone living a few
billion years later has a different point of view to the person in a different
neurophysiological state sitting next to him? Of course not.

 Your "higher-order" get out clause is as evasive as Marshy's excuse for giving
the answer he has already prepared.

 Q: Maharishi, I'm confused about something,