There's no monitoring required to "do" TM. In fact, you can get lost for hours
in thought if you have mental health problems as I do, and still be "doing" TM
correctly.

 Vipassana and TM interwoven,
 Mindful Notes of a Fairfield meditating satsang:
 Vipassanaic TM:
 [Once upon a time at a meeting a few years ago in Fairfield, Iowa ]
 ".. We’re going to talk about transcendence in relation to vaipassana. These
two practices are interwoven for me. What has meshed? TM is a non-concentrative
practice. Do you understand what that means?

 KG: You don’t focus on staying on the mantra, you can relax your mind.

 DG: The practice does require doing. When you notice you’re off the mantra,
you come back to it. It’s not continuous repetition, but it does require
monitoring. There is concentration to that degree.

 H: Effortless effort.

 JS: Vaipassana is in the same genre as TM, it’s a non-concentrative practice.
However, it involves a little more doing than TM. We don’t normally practice
meditation with the goal of gaining insight, whereas vaipassana does involve
insight, insight into everything. It’s not limited to you. Anything can be an
object of observation.

 H: Is it like ritam?

 JS: When you merge these two practices together, you will transcend, you won’t
stop yourself from transcending. A lot of Buddhist practitioners feel they have
to stay in the present, so they keep themselves from transcending. They don’t
differentiate between transcending and spacing out. We understand the
difference. We know what it feels like to space out in meditation. So in this
process I want you to favor transcending. It involves not favoring silence, not
favoring thoughts. If you get in the transcendent and come up, you don’t say, I
want to go back right away. You notice where you are on the elevator. You ask,
where am I? Normally we don’t do this.

 C: Unless you have advanced techniques.

 JS: True, but these skills have gotten rusty. When we come back, we don’t
often know where we are. Vaipassana is the subtle level of observation. The
first thing you observe is the mechanics of consciousness. Buddhists don’t talk
about this, but this is my experience. When you notice that you’re distracted
from meditating, running your shopping list, you don’t want to be there, but
you observe where you are on the elevator. What you learn about is tracing
these subtle levels of observation through the levels of the transcendent, the
roads that are built in the transcendent. The floating technique is based on
this knowledge. When you’re working with intuition you need to be awake to the
subtle levels of the transcendent. I was reluctant to go here because I’ve
merged the two practices. I want you to practice vaipassana, 5-10 minutes,
ideally with someone else from this group, even on the phone. I want you to
talk about your experiences in order to ground it. I don’t want you to use your
mantra. If it comes up, don’t force it out of the way, but treat it like
another thought. But I don’t want you to come back to the mantra like in TM,
because that has a different effect. You are going to come back to pure
awareness. Everyone is capable of this after so many years of TM. I want you to
use pure awareness as its own still point. Go in, start meditating, let go of
the mantra if it comes up, go back to that pure awareness. It will have a
quality of silence, but I want you to not hold to the silence. The silence will
pull you down into it. With TM, we want to go into it. But now I want you to
not be attached to the silence. An effect will happen.

 DG: You’ll be awake to yourself.

 JS: Exactly. When you’re not holding to the mantra or the silence, an
awakening takes place inside, an openness to the self, a lucidity. You will
awake to the meditation process. After that awakening occurs, you’re going to
ask yourself, where am I in the elevator? Most likely you’re going to be at
level 3 or 4 above the transcendent. I want you to notice the feeling of that
in your body, what it feels like to wake up to that level of the transcendent.
There will be a felt sense in the body. Right there, I want you to start
observing your thoughts. Thoughts have components of consciousness built into
them. Some are more refined, some more gross. Sensations in the body also have
levels. Emotions also have levels. I want you to notice your thoughts, not just
the content, but the subtlety of the thought. Is it gross or refined? First you
meditate, then you transcend, allow that to happen, but don’t use your mantra.
When you come to the point of stillness, it’s like when the sun comes out.
You’ll wake up to the inner life. Notice where you are in the elevator. Then
wake up to the sensation level. It has to do with thought and the level out of
which it arises. What makes thought more refined is when it’s closer to the
transcendent. Most likely the emotion will be refined. But if you do have
grosser emotion, just let it be. There are more parts, but this is enough for
today. If you practice this way, you will encounter the other parts naturally.
You will start to see the content of thoughts. Don’t push them away or ignore
the thoughts and feelings. Observe them, but don’t indulge them. You have to do
this as a formal practice. You can’t do this in activity at first. You need to
establish the silence.

 L: Expect nothing, notice everything. Noticing builds a particular frequency.
When you notice that sensation, track that. It will start unraveling the
conditioning. You’re clearing the disturbances out.

 JS: L is describing the effect, and it will happen naturally.

 M: Is it the same as the floating technique?

 JS: The floating technique is a specific healing technique that will always
have the same effect in your body, the rising up. They’re two different things,
although they’re interwoven. When you observe with vaipassana, you can take
that into the floating technique. That requires practice, practice in the
mechanics.

 H: It sounds like what we’re told to do when we have an overpowering thought
in meditation, only not waiting for the thought to subside.

 JS: It’s different.

 DD: It’s parallel. It’s like when you consciously return to the sutras.

 JS: There’s an awakening into something that differentiates it from other
techniques. Normally in TM we don’t examine content. In this process you do a
lot of examination, but not on the level of thinking. We think of contemplative
meditation as just thinking, but it’s not. You can do it any time you like, any
time you have 10-15 minutes. Half an hour would be ideal. You don’t have to do
it every day, a couple of times a week is fine. I just want you to have a tool
to gain insight into yourself. When you go through the mechanics of this and
see where you are, observing sensations, observing thoughts, which will have
content, whether imagistic or felt. Rather than pushing them away, when a
thought comes up, be happy about it because this thought is going to be a
helper. Observe the content of it. Is it anger, an insight, an image from the
past, see it and know it for what it is. I don’t want you to go off on a big
tangent about the thought. Just notice it and then return to the Self, but not
come back to the mantra. If the mantra comes up, don’t push it away, just
return to the Self. Insight will come up, an aha experience. We don’t normally
have that with TM because it’s not insight oriented. It might not be a thought,
it might be a sensation or an emotion. Is that clear? Let’s see how it goes.
 # #

 On FFL emptybill writes:

 Mindfulness versus Vedantic awakening - the difference

 Here is a discussion by James Swartz about the difference between the practice
of Buddhist Vipassana and its relationship to the Vedanta teachings about
awakening to one’s invariant witness-awareness.

 Hope this helps clarify our discussion about distinguishing between the
practices of original Vedanta, TM meditation and Buddhist Vipassana.

http://www.shiningworld.com/top/images/stories/Sat_F2014/Buddhism_and_Vedanta.pdf

  • [FairfieldLife]... emptyb...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]