<snip>
> And as for "how isolated can a person be?," that was
> my point with comparing the mindset to Poe's "The
> Masque of the Red Death."  When you're talking airborne
> viruses and the reality of modern-day world travel,
> the desire to be isolated is probably as illusory for
> us as it was for Prince Prospero.

In regional terms, yes.  In personal terms, it isn't
either/or: you can be more isolated or less isolated.
Even if the virus is spreading in your community, the
more isolated you are--the less often you have to
leave your home and have contact with others--the less
chance you'll be exposed to the virus.  If you do have
to go out, there are measures you can take to isolate
yourself from others (e.g., face masks).

You can't eliminate your risk, but you can certainly
reduce it significantly.

If anybody's interested, there's a Flu Wiki with all
kinds of information about preparedness on every level:

http://www.fluwiki.com

> At the same time, and while not giving in to the scare
> tactics being waged about this subject in the media
> right now,

Would that it were just the media, but it ain't.
This is a case where the threat is all too real,
even if it's being exaggerated in the media.

 I am happy I won't be spending 90 minutes
> a day in the Metro any more.  :-)

Another thing to take into account is the likely
breakdown of essential services in a full-blown
pandemic.