--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Looking back, at this point I do not remember whether the subtle
> blood chemistry argument was based on metastudies.

I dug this up from an old post (March 200) of
mine on  alt.meditation.transcendental; I no
longer recall where I got the Wallace quote, but
I think it may be about the "subtle blood
chemistry" you're referring to:

Wallace writes of the Kesterton study, referring to the finding
of many TM studies and also of Kesterton's study of periods of
spontaneous breath suspension:

   Recent studies have extended these results and more carefully
   analyzed the neurophysiological control of respiratory patterns
   during the TM technique.  These studies show both a decreased
   sensitivity to increased levels of carbon dioxide added to the
   air inhaled during meditation and an increased sensitivity to low
   levels of oxygen.  This suggests an even more refined pattern of
   physiological functioning, indicating that there are specific
   alterations in centers within the brain that are involved with
   monitoring both carbon dioxide and oxygen levels.

In other words, Wallace's early findings may not have been
accurate, but more detailed analysis shows even more interesting
and complex changes than those he initially reported.