 One writer believes that humans will no longer be the top species on earth.
Is that shocking or what?

 Man was created by natural selection, the only difference between us and other
animals is that we have the ability to inquire and seek explanations for our
experience. This ability to understand has given us the way to fathom nature
and manipulate it in such a way that we can - given enough research time and
tools to refine measurements - create anything that is possible.

 What seems extremely likely is that we can make a machine that is better - ie;
faster - at thinking than we are. It doesn't have to be conscious in the way we
are to be more effective at organising and replicating itself but a system of
learned and self improving responses to awareness is a good start. Any
self-improving machine will realise the advantage of seeing more of the
electromagnetic spectrum than we do and hearing more, etc.

 Is there any actual reason why a machine like this would consider us inferior?
I think yes, because we consider ourselves superior - and in charge of -
"lesser" creatures by virtue of our society and achievements, we have a higher
order of organisation than anything else which seems like a higher stage of
evolution because of the extra ways we have of adapting the environment to suit
us, but not for long. The faster an independently reasoning machine thinks the
quicker it will adapt, it would rapidly leave us standing.

 I heard a rumour there is a "kill switch" on the internet, probably just a
myth but someone should try and build one just in case....

 http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2045-physicist-says-top-species-123359838.html
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2045-physicist-says-top-species-123359838.html

        • Re... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]