Richard,

 The Islamic states and the radical Muslim movements are misnomers.  They are
really political movements veiled in the religion of Islam.  The reason for
this is the convenience of attracting and unifying the people to their cause.
As such, the leaders obtain absolute power by invoking the Koran.

 The effect is the lack of wisdom and compassion among their leaders and the
increase of dark, senseless, cold, violent, and barbaric acts that we've
witnessed all too often in the past decade in the Middle East.