Just as a followup, it is worth pointing out to those who have never thought
about how they treated Maharishi and how they believe TMers *should* treat
Maharishi that this is behavior that was *taught* to them.

There is no inherent tradition with regard to other teachers in America or the
West that we have to treat them as if they were somehow "special," and "revere"
them as if they were near-gods or "better" than you are. There are no
traditions saying that when you greet them you stand silently in polite lines
and then hand them flowers. There are no traditions that tell you how to react
to them when they say something in a talk or lecture; for most teachers, if you
disagree with what they say, you would naturally ask for clarification, or
actually disagree.

But the way many Westerners treat Eastern spiritual teachers is the way that
they are treated in the East. This is *learned behavior*. As TMers, the first
time you met Maharishi (for those here who actually  did), you were *taught*
how to interact with him. Not in words per se, but *by example*, watching how
everyone around you who had been around for a while was treating him and
interacting with him.

You almost never saw anyone express any doubts about anything he said, because
it "just wasn't done." In the rare cases you *did* see anyone disagree with
him, those people were likely excommunicated shortly thereafter, and you never
saw them again -- this is a pretty strong "lesson" in how one "should" interact
with Maharishi and treat him.

And, because all of these "As newbies you should/must treat him and what he
says the way we older students do" lessons were spread out over years, you
never realized that they were, in fact, lessons -- a form of indoctrination.
You learned very quickly the "right" way to treat Maharishi and think of him,
and that it always had to be with respect and deference, because he was, after
all, enlightened and you weren't.

These quiet, subtle forms of indoctrination were so powerful and so effective
that even now -- decades later and even years after his death -- many people
are afraid to *not*  follow the guidelines they were taught about how one
should/must interact with or talk about Maharishi. And when people who still
think this way see someone treat him like what he really was -- just another
human being, not inherently "higher" or "better" than anyone who has ever lived
-- it makes them uncomfortable and uptight.

I think this is what Steve and others on this forum are expressing. It makes
them *uncomfortable* to see Michael or myself or others treat Maharishi as if
he was "just another guy." Because they were subtly taught that to treat him
that way was "wrong" and a sign of disrespect -- and, during his lifetime, a
"sin" worthy of excommunication -- they feel that anyone who treats him as if
he were just another guy is doing something "wrong," and they lash out at these
heretics.

Free clue -- it's not US who are being weird when we treat Maharishi no
differently than we'd treat anyone else we've ever met or interacted with. It's
YOU, if you still are so indoctrinated that you feel you have to.