---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dickmays@...> wrote :

 Forwarded from: David Hooper <davehoopermpp@... mailto:davehoopermpp@...>

8/21/14-Maharishi: We are bound by the non-awareness of the Unbounded not by
material possessions

QUESTION: "I understand that in the third state of consciousness [waking] we
are bound by the effects of our actions and our material possessions. My
question is: do material possessions, material ownership, wealth, inhibit
our...."

MAHARISHI: "Let me remark at this point, at this stage of your question. We are
not bound by material possessions EVER. We are bound by the non-awareness of
the Unbounded. As long as we are not aware of the Unbounded, we are bound by
EVERYTHING.

We are not bound by our material possessions. Material possessions don't bind
us. What they do is liberate us from the pangs of unfulfilled desires. Our
desire is to get this and this and this, and then if we don't get, we feel
miserable. Whatever we have, that is a solace to us in that misery. Material
possessions are not a means of bondage. If anything they are a source of solace
in our weakness. They do not bind us. If anything, they are a source of solace,
contentment, happiness, joy, peace.

Possessions will always be a means of joyfulness. It is the non-possessions
that bind us in the craving to get them. Do you see the point? It is something
that we don't possess, that non-possession binds us in the craving to possess
it. Possessions are not a bondage. They are a means of joy, happiness.

What is bondage? Lack of awareness of the Unbounded. That means: ignorance,
ignorance of our unbounded nature, ignorance that the Self within is unbounded,
eternal, infinite, absolute, bliss. Lack of knowledge about this is ignorance,
and this ignorance is a bondage to us. Material possessions are never a
bondage. They are a means of happiness."

 I gotta say, I haven't listened to MMY for a long, long time but this second
post in this "series" is another good one. That Maharishi guy certainly knew a
thing or two. Take what you want and leave the rest, folks. If you can't get
past despising MMY then just read the words as if they appeared out of thin
air. I think Humboldt was the place to be in 1970. Yup, TM's Golden Age for
sure. Before Vastu, before Rajas, before the Movement's promotion of Ayurveda
or the asking of large donations or even of the Siddhis. Things were still
innocent and fresh.

~"Growth of Consciousness" (Videotape)  -- August 1970~
~Humboldt State University, Arcata, USA~​

Jai Guru Dev

 --
David Hooper
1000 Purusha Place, Suite 219