 I post this mainly in hopes that level headed science appreciator Sal and
starry eyed quackery fan Share will give us their considered (and one would
assume) entirely opposite opinions

 This bit says it all for me:

 Asimov died in 1992 -- six years into Oprah’s syndicated sabotage upon sense
-- having lived long enough to see American Intellectual Life degenerate to
depths worse than he could have imagined... from “my ignorance is just as good
as your knowledge” into a cultural elevation of ignorance as not only “just as
good”, but in every way superior to knowledge... A shift surely affected in
part by Winfrey’s outsized influence.

 When TV is the main educator it's going to seek the lowest common denominator,
another problem with capitalism. There's no one to check the facts and point
out errors on Oprah, the audience figures rule, give the people what they want.

 No arguments from me. TV, in 95% of the cases, is a dreadful waste of time and
I simply don't watch it. But somehow equating people's belief in or use of
alternative medicinal therapies on talk shows and Oprah seems far fetched. I
think every single one of us who has either practiced TM or been interested in
alternate diets beyond eating as carnivores have come across literature or
people/nutritionist/naturpaths who know about herbs, tinctures and health care
from days gone by or other cultures. It is not all gleaned from day talk shows,
by a long shot. And as for Oprah, I wouldn't know if she was right, wrong or
somewhere in the middle as I have never seen her show, have you?

 Unlike on British TV where we have rules about what how opinion pieces are to
be portrayed compared to something with supporting evidence. That just covers
documentaries though, I'm sure that chat shows rely on the hopeful integrity of
the presenter. We have no one like Oprah thank the lord and the BBC is quite
proud of its stance on impartiality, the Tories will destroy it though in their
endless quest to turn the UK into America. If someone makes money out of it, it
must intrinsically be a good thing right?

 http://www.examiner.com/article/oprah-winfrey-ruins-2013-harvard-commencement
http://www.examiner.com/article/oprah-winfrey-ruins-2013-harvard-commencement

 http://www.examiner.com/article/oprah-winfrey-ruins-2013-harvard-commencement

 Oprah Winfrey ruins 2013 Harvard commencement
http://www.examiner.com/article/oprah-winfrey-ruins-2013-harvard-commencement
Last year’s Harvard Commencement keynote speech -- a trite, forgettable, and
platitudinous monologue delivered by journalist Fareed Zakaria -- wafted
inoffensiv

 View on www.examiner.com
http://www.examiner.com/article/oprah-winfrey-ruins-2013-harvard-commencement";
class="ygrps-yiv-793098506ygrps-yiv-273569700link-enhancr-card-url
ygrps-yiv-793098506ygrps-yiv-273569700link-enhancr-element
 Preview by Yahoo

  • [FairfieldLife]... Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... salyavin808
      • [Fairf... danfriedman2002