On 8/27/2014 8:19 AM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

Rich,

You are wealthy because you don't eat too much. Also, since you turned me on to a new TM=related book (Have you read Reflections on the Teachings of Maharishi: A personal Journey by John Hornburg? [sorry, the Italics button is stuck]), I'll explain myself further.

This being NYC, there is a Farmer's Market just around the corner from Whole Foods. The word from there is that the Hole Foods produce sucks (technical term used by farmers who know their shit/manure).

Our local Whole Foods Market gets it's organic produce from the farmers market just around the corner or from a farm nearby. The best produce and most satisfying is the produce you grow in your own back yard. What most people don't realize when they purchase food is the /stress and heat factor/. All processed food is stressed to a certain extent and/or heated. This includes the process and the packaging itself and the transportation from the farm. Produce sometimes comes from as far away as Mexico and California.

They show you the difference. Organic apples are not unblemished, organic peaches are not unblemished, organic,,,get it?

The ideal would be to procure all or most of your food without using a harvesting device. Since this is close to impossible for most urban dwellers we have to be more flexible and make choices. Locally picked fruit and vegetables harvested by hand in your local area would be the best choice and imported and processed foods last. The best and most satisfying food we ever obtained were apples picked directly from the ground which had fallen the same day from fruit trees grown, but even then we had to drive to the orchard in a wheeled vehicle.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I may need to pull away from this exciting time on ffl when the postman delivers.

On 8/26/2014 6:50 PM, danfriedman2002 wrote:

    But Rich, Whole Paycheck will kill ya. Better off with Health
    Nuts (if the name fits, I wear it) or farmstands.

    But...Whole Paycheck is easy to shoplift.

    We are not big eaters anymore, so it only costs us a few dollars
    to buy some vegetables and some grains at the Whole Foods Market.
    It's not like we have a big family to feed anymore. Sometimes we
    eat out and that cost more. There is a farmer's market a few
    blocks away from where we live. We went to this place to eat some
    raw food:

    ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
    <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>, <punditster@...>
    <mailto:punditster@...> wrote :

    Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the most neglected aspects
    of modern medicine. Just to be on the safe side, we try to eat
    only organic foods and try to avoid all packaged food. It just
    makes common sense. Today we went to this place to get some bulk
    grains and organic vegetables:

    /Whole Foods, San Antonio/

        On 8/26/2014 6:29 AM, anartaxius@... <mailto:anartaxius@...>
        [FairfieldLife] wrote:

    The term allopathic, which is often used in a derogatory sense,
    was invented by Hahnemann, the creator of homoeopathy. So it is
    basically a quacks take on regular medicine, although at the
    time the term came into use, regular medicine was still pretty
    primitive, and probably not very effective. Today the term
    'evidence-based medicine' is used, or 'science-based medicine'.
    Here is an interesting site that deals with various conflicts
    found between alternative therapies (which I usually call the
    alternative to medicine) and modern medical practice.
    Science-Based Medicine <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

    image <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

    Science-Based Medicine <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>
    Science-Based Medicine: Exploring issues and controversies in
    the relationship between science and medicine

    View on www.sciencebasedm... <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org>

    Preview by Yahoo

    ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
    <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>, <turquoiseb@...>
    <mailto:turquoiseb@...> wrote :

    I've been staying out of the Alternative Therapies free-for-all
    for a number of reasons. First, it's been done to death here
    before, so the whole faux outrage thing has a decidedly been
    there, done that, don't need to do it again vibe to it. Second,
    possibly because I bailed from the TMO early, I never got
    infected with that uber-hypochondria that so many long-term
    TMers exhibit. I never got into fad diets or mega-supplements or
    any of that stuff, and have managed to remain remarkably healthy
    *anyway*, never having to "go there" and put any attention on my
    health. I've been lucky enough to be healthy and stay
    healthy...what was there to focus on or obsess on?

    Third, I currently write articles for all sorts of people in the
    health care industry. A few of them probably work for Big
    Pharma, but most are just everyday practitioners of allopathic
    medicine or chiropractic or some alternative practice or some
    mainstream specialty like cardiovascular medicine. And to a
    person I don't think any of them would disagree with the
    comments one of them put on the T-shirt below (some MDs might
    get a bit of a hitch in their panties over the mention of
    chiropractic, but that's about it).

    Most of them would LOVE it if their patients would just pay more
    attention to their diets and to getting enough exercise. But
    they don't. They want a "quick cure." And they want it whether
    it comes from a Big Pharma pill or a homeopathic sugar pill or a
    Chinese tonic or an Ayurvedic potion. Health care providers --
    whoever they are -- get pushed into the savior role because
    people go to them demanding the "quick cure" and shouting "Cure
    me, cure me!" They're not willing to do the work every day that
    keeps them healthy in the first place, so they expect someone
    else to do it for them.

      • Re: [F... danfriedman2002
        • Re... Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... danfriedman2002