That people have different experiences in different states of
    consciousness doesn't mean the brain didn't give rise to those
    states too.

    On 8/28/2014 2:33 PM, salyavin808 wrote:

    Sure, it's still a mystery how the "hard problem" is to be
    resolved but to prove the mystics right you would need to do a
    complete search of the brain and not be able to find any evidence
    that consciousness exists or is controlled from there. But we
    have plenty of evidence of that already, like where it happens
    (mostly) how to switch it off etc. it would be bizzarro world
    extraordinaire if we couldn't finish the job.

    Everything that exists is made of the same stuff obeying the same
    laws. Consciousness looks like it's an evolutionary
    Johnny-come-lately. Unless the paradigms really do shift and
    everything we know is wrong!

    In "Eye to Eye," Ken Wilber applies his spectrum of consciousness
    model to epistemology. Epistemology is the science of what can be
    known - knowledge, and how we get it. Attempting to investigate
    the realm of spirit, for example, with the "eye of flesh," that
    is, the eye that perceives only sensory phenomena, will not yield
    real knowledge of the realm of spirit, which is not disclosed to
    sensory perception. There is an old Zen saying: 'The eye cannot
    see itself.'

On 8/29/2014 1:17 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

Sounds convenient for him. Doesn't prove there is a spiritual realm though does, it just refuses to allow us to speculate.

Consciousness is the field. Simply put, no objects exist independently of their being known.

    "There is no place in this new kind of physics both for field and
    matter, for the field is the only reality". - Albert Einstein

    You do realise that this quote completely undermines your argument
    that there are two "things" present?

There is only the field, everything else is an illusion, not real, yet not unreal - because it is presented to us. Even if we actually consult real people, are they not subject to the same errors as we? Cannot people be in agreement and yet in error? For centuries people agreed that the earth was flat. If others share our error, how can we profit by consulting them for proof? Yet, past experiences may have been erroneous consistently. The realist thinks he sees directly back into an existing past which in reality has ceased to exist!

    'Eye to Eye: The Quest for the New Paradigm'
    by Ken Wilber
    Shambhala, 1990

    Neuroscientists watch imagination happening in the brain
    <http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-neuroscientists-brain.html>

    image
    <http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-neuroscientists-brain.html>

    Neuroscientists watch imagination happening in
    th...<http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-neuroscientists-brain.html>

    (Medical Xpress)—'You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only
    one,' sang John Lennon in his 1971 song Imagine.

    View on *medicalxpress.com*
    <http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-08-neuroscientists-brain.html>

    Preview by Yahoo

              • ... danfriedman2002