On 8/29/2014 6:00 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
Card, I don't know what your sister is into, but it doesn't sound to me as if either of you understands what synesthesia is. That's what happens when information perceived by one sense triggers a simultaneous perception in another, unrelated sense but with no direct input that could cause this second sensory perception. For example, you look at a painting and it makes you taste something.

Another example might be Rama up on a stage "slowly rising up off of a sofa and flying around for a few minutes", and then you sensing that the lecture hall was all "golden", except in this case the perceptions are related. A more accurate term may be "ideasthesia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

None of this as I understand it has anything to do with the concept of "embodied experience." Some people are using that phrase as a buzzword for virtual environments in which sensorimotor technology is used to provoke the sensation of feeling or smell or hearing. That's not really synesthesia because something mechanical is actually triggering these perceptions.

In the case of your perception of Rama levitating up on a stage there must have been something chemical or mechanical triggering your perceptions - /such as LSD or smoke and mirrors./ It's not complicated.

*From:* "cardemais...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Friday, August 29, 2014 11:38 AM
*Subject:* [FairfieldLife] "Embodied experience"?

My sister is using the expression "embodied experience" in referring to synesthetic experiences of visual arts. Is it OK, or could there be a better expression for that. THX in advance...

  • [FairfieldLife]... cardemais...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... cardemais...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]