I would have hated to grow up coddled in the suburbs. When I  was seven, I was
riding mountain ponies with my brother, who was five, galloping, by ourselves,
through the tea fields, in the highlands of Java. We'd rent them and just ride
off, knowing the area intimately. Electricity was not a given, either, and TV
was non-existent. I probably sound like the typical old, "Back in my day...",
old dude, but I think if we are not too sheltered by technology, and our fears,
life lets us know pretty quickly what works, and what doesn't.
 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emilymaenot@...> wrote :

 Yep, I also think the focus on "instant gratification" in our society plays a
part. Many in or hitting the 20's now were raised during a decade or two of
particular emphasis on consumerism and economic opportunity.   Things are
turning around; the word "sustainability" is one said with passion by my oldest
and her friends and they are living what they believe in.  Living outside the
home also remains one of the best ways for American-bred children to grow up, I
do believe.

 Yeah, I have seen that too. Part of it may come from living in a world where
everything is so easily available, a consumer's paradise, yet still needs to be
earned. Because of easy credit, and/or being too sheltered, some don't get the
'earned' part.

 Perhaps so.  I hope so. But, I also see a sense of entitlement that I can't
figure out.  At least with my oldest. The good news is that I think reality is
finally starting to sink in, for him, at least.

 I think they will do amazing things, too. That generation is far ahead of us,
with many accomplishing effortlessly what it took us many years to see.
---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <wayback71@...> wrote :

 It of course depends on how you want to live, your skills, your saving money
savy,whether you get social security and a pension.  It will be really
interesting to see what people do in the next 30 years.  Many have not worked
long enough to support a 35 year retirement.  I know of several extended
families that are living under one roof - the 30 year olds move back in with
the parents because they cannot afford a house or rental, then they help their
parents (our age) with rent and chores.  and the parents get to be around their
grandchildren.  I would expect that this will become more and more typical
since it helps everyone with finances as well as socializing.  I look forward
to seeing what the millenials will be doing in all sorts of areas- social
policy, climate change, jobs, food, belief systems.  Maybe I am too optimistic,
but I think they might do some terrific things (most especially to deal with
global warming).

    • [Fairfield... waybac...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... danfriedman2002
        • Re... waybac...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]