Parroting is one of the ways we learn, but the object of education is to make
the mind more flexible, to learn how to learn. One of the things I found
objectionable about MIU was an emphasis, at least from some instructors, on
saying things the way Maharishi said them. I came into understanding this
consciousness thing by way of Zen, Sufism, and a few other things, and
Maharishi's explanations eventually added another layer of jargon.

The point is to get through the jargon — you have to use some jargon in this
business — and find a way to express yourself that truly represents what you
experience. If you have no experience, you only have the jargon. As it turned
out for me, no system of description really nails what happens in experience or
adequately covers what one knows. After a time, the pile of jargon, which one
does retain, becomes a resource which one can combine and recombine at will,
and the wider the selection one has, from as many sources as one has, the more
closely you can match those terms to your experience.

I recall many instances from my time in the movement when people would jump on
me because I did not use movement jargon verbatim or used terms and concepts
from other traditions. Also I was approaching the age of 30 when I learned TM,
so a lot of that pliability of manipulation you find in younger minds was
already in retreat. Kids coming up through the Maharishi School etc., are going
to have a problem in later life.

I went through public schools, had rejected spirituality as having any
relevance by the time I was in high school, and when the spiritual side of life
came into my awareness by a totally non-verbal experience when I was in my late
twenties, I had absolutely no way understanding what it was about, just an
intuitive feel that I should pursue it. Now I find some of Maharishi's
terminology useful, but my experiences did not unfold in the linear way his
descriptions seem to imply. And I discovered that most of things Maharishi
associated with TM, like world peace, happiness, health, etc., were really
mostly irrelevant in the pursuit of enlightenment because they only appeal to
the ego-infested state of experience.