On 09/07/2014 01:47 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
How many triangles do you see in this image?

kanisza triangle, perception, perceptual hypothesis, bottom-up, top-down, brain, cortex, illusions

The correct answer is "None."

http://www.united-academics.org/magazine/design-technology/kanisza-triangle-you-cant-believe-your-eyes/

None? Really? Pac-Men? What was the age of these academists? 23? Actually the question is *phrased* *wrong*.

Ask any computer graphics artist how they would create this image. They would start with one purple triangle. Why purple? We'll get to that in a minute. Next at one point in the triangle they would *intersect *a black circle. They would then copy the black circle and paste two more each each point of the purple triangle. Then select all three circles and put them on the bottom layer. This way the purple triangle overlaps the black triangles to create the "Pac-Man". Next select the purple triangle and copy it then *flip* the triangle. Now we have *two* triangles forming a star. Select that new triangle and change the *fill *color to white or background and the *stroke* (outline) to black. Push that triangle to the bottom layer. Now we have the purple triangle on top. Select it and change the *fill *color to white (or background) and the *stroke *also to white.

Now you have the graphic. How many images did that take? 5. How many images would it take if you di it the "fragmented" way? 6. And a much more difficult image to construct that way too.

So, I as a computer person who does both graphics programming and art see *two *triangles. Perhaps the correct question would have been "how many *complete* triangles do you see? The answer could then be *none***(though I need to examine the graphic carefully as the top triangle might not actually be the same color as the background as I perceive an edge)*.

*Oh, why a purple triangle? This is an often unused color in pictures that artists will use temporarily for transparent areas. If purple is used then they can use another color that isn't used in the graphic.

I'll give the academics a D+ for effort. :-D

            • ... danfriedman2002
      • [Fairf... danfriedman2002
  • [FairfieldLife]... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • Re: [FairfieldL... Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife]