Look, Sam Harris leaves the door wide open to research in consciousness like TM
does. Read the article. In fact in meditation even he, Sam Harris does science
on 'introspective' woo-woo that way too! You guys must be very disappointed to
have lost what you have seen as your champion against meditating from the
public arena. A pitiable thing here is that you guys quite evidently do not use
your nervous system very effectively that scientific way Harris does whilst
yous even got a human nervous system on this planet.
  Take for instance a hypothesis based on observation: Make haste, make use of
your time in meditation and then you'll know more. Harris is even urging you
saying that effective modern spirituality is very scientific practice in so
many ways. Quite evidently an effective spiritual practice scientifically is
at: http://www.tm.org/ http://www.tm.org/ Your own science methodology in
spirituality evidently seems must not be very good for some reason to
experiment with. You quitters ought to get your meditations checked so you
could be a credible part of a modern spiritual discussion.  Unless you are
really satisfied being in the control group.  According to the research your
spirituality might even do everyone some good if you would work on it. The
experience of an effective meditation might well help you with what seems an
angry entrenched mood about your poor experience, like Harris mentions in form
like around the vasana of anger in your systems. Do some more science of your
own experimenting. Meditating in the field effect of effective spiritual
practice groups is found to be useful, may be look for that too to help you in
your research.
 Have a really wonderful day today on planet earth,
 after meditating this morning I got to unload 300 bales of hay.
 300 more coming this afternoon before meditation,
 -Buck

 “In “Waking Up,” I argue that spirituality need not rest on any faith-based
assumptions about what exists outside of our own experience. And it arises from
the same spirit of honest inquiry that motivates science itself.”
 -Sam Harris

 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Good article, I get an idea of where he's coming from. Nothing to do with
mystic woo woo at all. In fact, he's a man after my own heart.

Mine, too. He manages to bring concepts that most people get all hazy and Woo
Woo about into crystal clarity.

Of course consciousness isn't reducible. loads of things aren't, life itself
for instance. Reason is they depend on advanced structures, a rock isn't
conscious but it's made of the same stuff as my brain is, therefore it must be
the organisation inside my head that gives rise to awareness. This is quite
obviously born out by experiment.

 No there isn't a central place in the brain where the sense of self resides,
evolution teaches that isn't a likely prediction because it would have to be a
very ancient biological structure and yet it acts all modern with its feelings
etc. Seems obvious that all parts of the brain from the ancient reptilian parts
that gives us instincts and simple motor function responses, the mid brain or
limbic system we share with most other mammals that gives us emotions, desires
and learned responses like fight or flight.

 On top of that is the neocortex that gives us higher mammals reasoning and
episodic memory, all these things are interconnected and we experience and use
all of them with the top, most recently evolved bit, wondering where all the
inner stuff comes from.

 You can also tell there's no inner "self" when the brain gets damaged, in
severe epilepsy the two brains halves are sometimes separated by cutting the
connecting nerves. People can still function but if you place a screen between
someone's eyes so they can't see what's on the other side your left eye will
see things but you won't know what they are even though your right hand can
draw them! This means there must be two "selfs" one in each side! How weird is
that?

 I think the hard problem is really the easy bit, the tricky task is working
out exactly what everything is doing and when.

I've never understood those who go on and on about the "hard problem." It's
simply a non-issue to a pragmatic Buddhist. Who CARES about the "Why" of
consciousness or "Where it comes from?" No one has ever known and no one ever
will, and 'knowing' would do them no good even if they found what they thought
was a suitable "Why" or "Where."

The pragmatic spiritual approach is to leave all the figuring and the posturing
about the "Why" of life to those who feel they have time to waste on such
self-indulgent shit, and focus instead on the obvious -- that *something* we
call consciousness exists, here and now, and that we have the ability to work
with it. The only thing that seems to have any pragmatic value -- for us or for
others -- is learning how to make the best use of whatever we consider
consciousness to be.

Then again, I fully admit to being underwhelmed by the silly shit that
"philosophers" spend their lives pondering. I think the world would have been a
better place if they'd all been forced to go out and actually DO something of
benefit to other people instead of sitting on their asses feeling
self-important about a self that never existed.  :-)

The inner minds eye has been there since the dawn of complex animal life even
though it must have improved via evolution, it's the way we know to respond to
threats, simple stimulus/response but so useful it got improved rapidly. This
understanding of conscious correlates is proceeding well but the brain is the
most complex structure in the known universe. So it's a bit early to say that
consciousness is impossible or must be some sort of "other" thing from the rest
of the stuff we know the universe is made of. And it's quite a relief that Sam
Harris isn't a mystic he just has a different sense of the importance of inner
experience than most scientists. I still see no evidence for quantum
consciousness.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <wayback71@...> wrote :

 Sam Harris's Vanishing Self
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/?

 Sam Harris's Vanishing Self
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/

 http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/

 Sam Harris's Vanishing Self
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/ The
well-known New Atheist makes a case for the value of “spirituality,” which he
bases on his experiences in meditation.

 View on opinionator.blogs.ny...
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/
 Preview by Yahoo

 Sam Harris's Vanishing Self
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/ The
well-known New Atheist makes a case for the value of “spirituality,” which he
bases on his experiences in meditation.

 View on opinionator.blogs.nyti...
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/sam-harriss-vanishing-self/
 Preview by Yahoo