 Exactly, Ann! This "enlightenment" or whatever it is, means living life, all
cylinders - trying the mysterious, the scary, the achingly beautiful, with
possible trepidation, all of it, yet, pushing through that last boundary, to
experience the world, always, in its freshness, liveliness, and endless
creativity.  I remember doing so much of that, for my entire life, so many
adventures. It seems like bawee and some of the others have possibly done a few
interesting things during their lives, and now they mostly lie around and
reminisce, casting a droll, cynical and exhausted perspective, everywhere.
 Pardon my French, but, UGGGGHHH! BARF!! HOLY FUCK! Life is for continued
growth and enjoyment, and the wiser we get, the more there is to enjoy. I was
cutting trails in the woods with my chainsaw (luckily I don't play golf), the
other day, and later realized the wildlife were instantly using the improved
trails. Later in the day, coyote voices rose out of the east canyon. Still
later, water bombers from Cal Fire, put out a blaze a couple of ridges away,
and the moon that night lit the landscape like lunar snow.
 That's ONE FUCKING DAY. They are all like that - endless adventures and
discoveries, some big, like mountain climbing, and some small, like a sweet
phone call from my daughter.
 What I see in those denigrating enlightenment, is an absence of this life's
blood, this vigor, vitality, and endless wonder. Enlightenment is not some
contest, or game to reach the bottom first. It happens, and we are the better
for it. Not that it is interesting by itself, but ;like the hershey's syrup I
poured over vanilla ice cream, last night, it makes the whole thing more
delicious.

 Wheee! I love it. You describe how I live, or at least attempt to. Every
flutter of the heart, every leap of adrenaline, all the sublime moments when
you lie listening to a distant owl or the mating frogs on the pond outside your
window - all of these things are beyond richness and gifts. I lack the desire
to define it. I am such a visceral person. I love to cram every sense I have
with all of the input I can find, I welcome experience. Pressing my nose
against the velvet nostrils of my horse and sucking it all in, burying my face
in the doggy fur of my mutts and inhaling deeply, walking face upturned in the
pouring rain - how much better does it get than that? If there is something
even greater than this and it's called "enlightenment" then wowzer. I'm pretty
content right now, feeling it all - having to be brave when courage doesn't
seem to be forthcoming, being sad because you have just had a loss so deep it
seems to know no limits and your guts are turned inside out. And you sit in
this and burn and feel until somehow it is lifted away. This is life, this is
what is worth knowing and living. And yea, I like lots of chocolate syrup but
it HAS to be vanilla ice cream.

 From: "anartaxius@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

   Steve,

You do need to pay attention to what other people say about enlightenment,
otherwise there are no markers as to whether you have made progress or not. But
then, who has the 'right' markers? There are lots of descriptions of
enlightenment in various traditions. Jim's experience is one of them, but it
has me being suspicious because he has said rather little of it in detail,
other than he has it, and he knows others do not.

 The only teacher I know of who describes enlightenment in great detail from
start to finish, from a more 'personal' perspective, warts and all, is
Adyashanti. There may be other teachers I do not know of, undoubtedly.
Maharishi's system appears to have some general benchmarks, but it seems many
have had experiences that are of another quality. The jury is out on this for
me, but Jim seems to avoid going into much detail about his experience.

 'Silence 24/7', a big release when it dawned, 'every perception sees the
infinity of the object, unity prevailing', but generally not particularly
creative in going beyond stock phrases that could be lifted from Maharishi's
tapes. Because he seems to be interested in creativity and expression, I think
he could do better at this and make up his own words for this, because then you
get more of a feeling of a connexion with a person's mind.

 To me Jim seems more bluster than Brahman, but I do feel he had a profound
experience from his point of view. I would just like to know more about it, and
he seems reluctant to go into more detail. Also Jim seemed not to understand
descriptions of enlightenment from other perspectives, such as Vedanta, which
should not be a problem.

 Just something seems missing to me. Jim's performance strikes me as low
resolution bravura, and seems more interested in telling the tale of it and how
it compares to others' than in using it to illuminate our understanding about
it.

 And Jim also said of Barry 'Barry told a silly little story about some
western-bubbleized person having a good time, and then realizing instead they
were a victim of karma, with a mind full of thoughts'. This was a cut and paste
a friend sent to Barry from Sam Harris's book. It was an illustration that we
can have experience which we misinterpret as enlightenment, but the story was
part of a larger context in the book. I do think Barry was making a veiled
reference to Jim, for Barry thinks Jim's enlightenment is faux enlightenment,
and the story Sam Harris told was just that.

Barry simply reposted the excerpt sent to him by Vaj, because it is a comment
on the issue of Neo-Advaitan pseudo-enlightenment we've discussed here many
times.

Barry does not believe anyone on this forum is enlightened, no matter how much
they claim to be, and has said so many times. If the ones doing the claiming
get their panties in a twist over it, he considers that proof that they're not
enlightened, and thanks them for providing it.  :-)

For the record, Barry also does not read any FFL posts made by either Richard
or Steve, and doesn't much care whether they stop eating and die, because that
wouldn't affect him in any way. If Edg or Anartaxius fasted themselves to death
stopped posting to FFL he would probably miss their writing for a day or so but
he'd get over it.

Seems to me people should get over themselves and get back to the business of
being ordinary. :-)

 Yes, follow bawee's example and become very, very ordinary. There is nothing
like being mediocre, average, run-of-the-mill, suburban, unmemorable,
unexceptional, commonplace, humdrum, middle-of-the-road, dull, bland or
conventional. Keep showing us how, bawee, so far you're doin' great.

  • [FairfieldLife] Re: ... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
  • [FairfieldLife] Re: ... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife]... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife]... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]