Picture show
Second balcony
Was the place we meet
Go Dutch treat
???

That was neat...

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:18 PM, danfriedman2002
<no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Dan! I love this song:
I recall
Central Park in fall,
How you tore your dress
What a mess

I confess
That's not all...

NOBODY beats Wayne Newton!

better than Robert Johnson
better than The Shook Ones
better than ADAM.

is that a haiku
can i make dough on that?

is That, there a haiku
can I make money on that there?

is that there there a haiku
can i make money on that that there?

is that there there there a haiku
can i make money on that that there there?

just let me know which has the correct # of syllables to enter into The
Japanese Haiku Contest. I gotta bundle to bet now.

pssssssssssssssst...the fix is in.

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:43 PM, danfriedman2002
<no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Back in the day, I got to use up about 30 seconds of my Warholian "15 minutes
of fame" on NBC Nightly News. I don't remember the year, but it was
post-Beatles and possibly post- or during-the-Merv thang. At any rate,TM was
Big News, and of all the
stations in L.A., NBC got there first with their request to do a show about
this new fad.

I didn't work at TM National those days, but I did work at MIU Press, and was
around 1015 Gayley a lot, giving intro and advanced lectures, and I guess Jerry
Jarvis saw me give a few and liked what he saw, because he pulled me aside one
day and asked if I would drive out into the San Fernando Valley that evening
and give a TM intro lecture there, so it could be videotaped.

I said, "Sure," figuring "How hard could it be...I do this stuff all the time."
Then I got to the hall and there was this team of two reporters, two camera
guys, one sound guy, and one gal whose function seemed to be makeup and
wardrobe. My cheap initiator suit must have passed muster, because she didn't
bother me about that, but she did try to get me to wear makeup, which I
declined. Then they set up some lights, set the cameras on tripods, and
proceeded to film a normal, everyday TM
intro lecture in the Valley, talking loudly amongst themselves through the
whole lecture. Videotape is cheap, and they must have had a lot of it, because
they shot at least half an hour of my talk, maybe more. Then they disassembled
their equipment -- again right in the middle of my lecture -- and walked out
without even bothering to thank me for my contribution to their show and the
television arts in general. My first taste of Hollywood. :-)

So I wait for the show to actually be broadcast, and because Jerry told me when
it would be on my parents are actually watching at their house, too, waiting to
see their boy on national TV, and the intro lecture bit comes on. Out of 30
minutes of recorded lecture, they gave me 30 seconds in the final cut.  Color
me doing my version of Otto's "Disappointed!" routine from "A Fish
Called Wanda." :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvbQ4wJak_c

But then I thought, "No problemo...TM will become so popular that I and other
teachers will be having to give these televised intro lectures on a regular
basis."

Not. Never happened again.

Jerry *did*
ask me to go to a big-assed church in
Pacific Palisades one night when they were having a "TM is really a cult" rally
and "stand up for TM." And I even did it. THAT was pretty interesting...far
much more so than my brief media drive-by on NBC Nightly News.

Soooooooooooooooo that's it! All this drama and carrying on is because the
didn't thank me for my contribution to their show and the television arts in
general.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then...

Thank you, thank you, thank you boychik!

Satisfied? Will you stop now?

Wayne Newton Danke Schoen 1963

View on www.youtube.com       Preview by Yahoo

________________________________
 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

Two little stories for you. Both rather pertinent to your comments below as
they show how the TMO expect to be treated by the press, or would prefer to be
anyway...

I was on a course in '96 I think it was, and one of the tapes shown, after the
mornings TMSP session was an interview with John Hagelin by someone purporting
to be a presenter on some sort of apparently serious news discussion show. It
was so obviously faked, it stank to high heaven of set-up but it was funny to
watch. For me anyway. What happened was you had Hagelin in a studio with intro
music and titles (World
Affairs or something similar) and the presenter asked him what he had to tell
us,
JH gave a typical intro talk about the Marshy Effect research and the
"interviewer" asked a few pathetically and transparently easy set-up questions
and JH then assured him that the science was good and well reported and peer
reviewed etc. It took about 20 minutes and was nothing but buttery stroking of
JH's ego.

After the tape had ended and I'd stopped smirking we went down to dinner and
the conversation was of the order of "wasn't that fascinating? I wonder when it
was broadcast?" I couldn't believe it, I don't think it was just my background
in public relations that helped me smell the
rat, it was so obvious. But if you want to see it as true then it was an easy
and effective confirmation. I left no one in any doubt of my
opinion about it (namely that the only place it had been broadcast is John
Hagelin's wet dreams). But I didn't take it up with the course leader, which I
should have done but I thought it was funny that they needed to fake it. I
imagined JH coming up against Paxman on Newsnight and thought that would be
unlikely to be shown on a course to people trying to rest. LOL

Or was it something more sinister? Were they trying to aggrandize the research
by getting us to think it had survived some sort of media scrutiny, however
limp and anodyne. Lying to make us believe it because other people
did?

My other story concerned the day I saved the TMO from just such a fate as the
interview we were talking about. We were in the Media office and a request came
through to have Geoffrey Clements on a Channel 4 prog hosted by one Graham
Norton. There was real excitement about it as C4 is a major channel, but I put
a stop to it for the very good reason that it was post-pub viewing and Norton
is a notoriously sarcastic interviewer who revels in making people
uncomfortable. The whole programme is the opposite of the sort of stage the
TMO, especially the leader of the NLP, would want to be on.
He never would have coped either, the place would have been full of drunk
teenagers laughing at him. The opposite of the sort of reception he gets in the
TMO where everyone had to give him respect because he was Marshy's choice of
top dog. We were better off in
our stately homes away from the prying and cynical eyes of the press I thought.

From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

Excellent find, prison boy! That
"reporter" came in all arrogant, and
muck-raking, wanting to do his hit piece, and Maharishi tells him basically to
fuck off, and leave the building! Priceless! Watched it twice.

I disagree that the reporter was arrogant, there he was confronted with a bunch
of deluded fruitcakes who think they can fly, and who are also doing shady
deals to gain property in
his country, he's damn right to be suspicious. Trouble is, a lot of people here
lack the objectivity to see that they are mixed up in
something so bizarre and lacking foundation.

It's more than a little scary that people like sometimes-rational feste don't
see the insanity in this news clip that 99.99% of the world's population would
see. Maharishi is just fuckin' GONE, man, which one might attribute just to
senility and old age, if it weren't for the fact that most of the other people
who represent the TMO in the segment are equally GONE. Bevan has never *been*
more embarrassing than he was in this bit, and that's really saying something.

I still think that a lot of it w.r.t. the brainwashing is the "frog in the pot"
syndrome. Yeah, I know it's probably
a real phenomenon, but the metaphor was that if
you put a frog in a pot of hot water, he recognizes the threat to life and just
jumps out. Put a frog in cold water and slowly raise the temperature, and he'll
just sit there and allow himself to be boiled to death because he gets used to
it in small increments.

That's what happened to formerly rational TMers. The brainwashing "snuck up on
them" over a period of years and decades. Over that time they got used to
seeing things around them that would sent had them running for the exits if
they'd been allowed to see them during their first months with TM, but by the
time they *did* get to see them they'd been trained to consider these things
"normal."

This is what is scariest to normal 99.99% people watching clips like this
one. It's *not* the craziness of the principals, like Maharishi and Bevan and
"King" Tony -- it's
the craziness of people like feste who make excuses
for them, and write off their obvious insanity by claiming the interview was a
"hatchet job." Now *that* is scary. You'd almost *expect* the leaders of a
worldwide cult to be crazy, but the everyday followers of the cult?

When I was a newbie meditator I was filled with the usual fervent zeal of the
newly converted, convinced I'd discovered some truth that has eluded the
mainstream. Imagine my surprise when the Sunday Times did (for some reason) a
round up of
cults and what they were all about. I was shocked to see TM in there at
all but the fact they got a maximum loony rating seemed amazing at the time.
But I didn't know anything about them then. You need to be on the inside not to
see it.

Exactly. Part of the *definition* of "being on the inside" is having been
sufficiently brainwashed to consider these levels of insanity normal.

The scariest part, from my point of view, is that once one has made an internal
(and rarely conscious) decision to accept this level of craziness as normal,
it's very, very, very, very difficult to ever be able to see it
another way. Once brainwashed, people tend to
*stay* brainwashed, unless they have a great deal of personal power and will
and an inability to be coerced by cult peer pressure.

Marshy came over very badly I thought, were you convinced that the reason he
refused to meet in person is
because he found that new people waste his time?

He was *clearly* reacting to the reporter's 'tude, which refused to give him
the suck-up obeisance he'd gotten used to getting from almost everyone. So he
did what all
Narcissistic Personality Disordered people do in situations like that, and
tried to "regain control" by stalking off. Think Robin Carlsen stalking off
from FFL when no one would treat *him* the way he expected to be treated.

What sort of crappy excuse is that. "Can you fly?" is a perfectly reasonable
question to someone who makes a fortune out of telling others they can.

It certainly is. Especially when you've got top-level toadies like Bevan
claiming that he could.

And the faux grovelling outrage by Bev and Da king convinced me not at all.

That *was* interesting, wasn't it. I got the feeling that at least Tony
realized what an ass he was making of
himself, but Bevan had nary a clue. He was as "out of it" and as unconscious of
what constitutes normal behavior as lifetime schizophrenics I used to see in a
state mental hospital I once worked in for a short time.

Bottom line, someone
didn't take them seriously and they didn't like it.

Exactly. Furthermore, this "someone" had access to the media and about halfway
through the interview they realized they didn't. I think that one reason
Maharishi reacted the way that he did (like a petulant, narcissistic, spoiled
brat of a child) is that he realized *during this interview* that it was OVER
for
him in terms of the general public buying his act. There was a day when he
could have charmed even a reporter like this. But no more. This guy was
treating him the way he would have treated any other crook, and Maharishi
couldn't allow that to continue so that the sycophants around him could witness
it. Better to stalk off in a snit and pretend that he held the upper hand than
to allow them to see that he'd been thoroughly bested by an
average-intelligence Australian
TV reporter.

I think that this news clip should be shown to every sucker school, company, and
military organization that has been bamboozled into taking David Lynch's spiels
seriously. No preaching, no lobbying...just sit the principals of the
organization down and ask them to watch this clip before deciding on whether to
pour money down the TM toilet and flush it. I suspect that the outcome would be
*exactly* what holding-on-for-dear-life True Believers fear it would be -- NO
ONE would ever take the TMO claims as anything other than madness ever again.

Just think about the buzzword that Maharishi was trying to sell as a product
during this clip -- "Invincibility." Here he was claiming that TM and the TMSP
would make whole nations "invincible" and he was so fragile and so emotionally
out of control and so intimidated by a TV reporter that he reacted like a
petulant child and stalked off. Some "invincibility," eh?

Just as an aside, isn't it fascinating that Mr. Enlightened Trailer Trash
thinks Maharishi's "stalk off when someone
asks a question he doesn't want to answer" routine is a "win?"  That, after
all, is JIM's act whenever someone brings up something *he* doesn't want to
deal with (like pretending to be a woman for months on FFL). He gets angry,
loses all self control, and then stalks off himself, dropping out of sight,
often returning later with a new ID and hoping everyone has forgotten how much
he embarrassed himself. As cult leader, so like cult follower...Jimbo is
parroting not only Maharishi's dumbass dogma, he's mimicking his behavior.

This is just what people suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder DO.
They attempt to control those around them, and if that attempt fails, they
either find a way to get rid of them (excommunication, firing them, sending
them home from a course, canceling the interview), or leave themselves
(stalking off
in a snit).

--In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote :

Great find, Geez.

It's quite an experience watching
this and listening to Maharishi and many people I know personally, just after
reading Sam Harris' new book. Bevan's so insane it hurts to look at him.

I love the Australian announcer's way of putting things...it's very dry and
witty and Sam Harris-like.
For example, standing in front of the MUM sign with the flying
dome in the background, saying, "I mean...its surreal...students here studying
physics who believe they can *fly*."  :-)  :-)  :-)

Rather than lashing out at this news report as we all know some True Believers
on this forum are girding their loins to do, I
think they'd be better served by actually
listening to it again and paying attention. This is not a "hit job." This is
what rational people in the real world think of TM True Believers. And they're
right.