Jim, you might be a little premature in this dismissal. Below is some of the
research results on mindfulness from Harris' book. And I have some comments on
my own after that.

Long-term meditation practice is also associated with a variety of structural
changes in the brain. Meditators tend to have larger corpora collosa and
hippocampi (in both hemispheres). The practice is also linked to increased gray
matter thickness and cortical folding. Some of these differences are especially
prominent in older practitioners, which suggests that meditation could protect
against age-related thinning of the cortex. The cognitive, emotional, and
behavioral significance of these anatomical findings have not yet been worked
out, but it is not hard to see how they might explain the kinds of experiences
and psychological changes that meditators report. Expert meditators (with
greater than ten thousand hours of practice) respond differently to pain than
novices do. They judge the intensity of an unpleasant stimulus the same but
find it to be less unpleasant. They also show reduced activity in regions
associated with anxiety while anticipating
 the onset of pain, as well as faster habituation to the stimulus once it
arrives.Other research has found that mindfulness reduces both the
unpleasantness and intensity of noxious stimuli...

...One study found that an eight-week program of mindfulness meditation reduced
the volume of the right basolateral amygdala, and these changes were correlated
with a subjective decrease in stress. Another found that a full day of
mindfulness practice (among trained meditators) reduced the expression of
several genes that produce inflammation throughout the body, and this
correlated with an improved response to social stress (diabolically, subjects
were asked to give a brief speech and then perform mental calculations while
being videotaped in front of an audience). A mere five minutes of practice a
day (for five weeks) increased left-sided baseline activity in the frontal
cortex — a pattern that, as we saw in the discussion of the split brain, has
been associated with positive emotions.

A review of the psychological literature suggests that mindfulness in
particular fosters many components of physical and mental health: It improves
immune function, blood pressure, and cortisol levels; it reduces anxiety,
depression, neuroticism, and emotional reactivity. It also leads to greater
behavioral regulation and has shown promise in the treatment of addiction and
eating disorders. Unsurprisingly, the practice is associated with increased
subjective well-being. Training in compassion meditation increases empathy, as
measured by the ability to accurately judge the emotions of others, as well as
positive affect in the presence of suffering. The practice of mindfulness has
been shown to have similar pro-social effects.

Scientific research on the various types of meditation is just beginning, but
there are now hundreds of studies suggesting that these practices are good for
us. Again, from a first-person point of view, none of this is surprising. After
all, there is an enormous difference between being hostage to one’s thoughts
and being freely and nonjudgmentally aware of life in the present.

My first meditations were guided meditations, which work quite well because you
are rather innocently following instructions. Then I learned a version of
mindfulness, and on the whole, it did not go that well. TM proved to be easy
for me, and that was basically what I did until about 10 years ago things
started to shift, and TM started to morph into mindfulness. My meditation is
now mostly mindfulness. The basic difference between the two is with TM you
come back to the mantra, and with the variation of mindfulness that I do you
come back to the breath. Breath is automatic because you need not do anything
about it to keep it going. And sometimes I just sit there, doing nothing. Now
some time ago you mentioned that mindfulness puts the cart before the horse,
and in some ways that is true.

Enlightenment is a state of non-forced mindfulness. Trying to emulate that
state when you are not in that state simply does not work. The TM advantage in
teaching is the checking notes, which run the student through the process
systematically. This tends not to happen with mindfulness instruction, where
instruction is more minimalist especially for people who try to do it from a
book. My guess if you stole and rewrote the checking process and substituted
'breath' for 'mantra', mindfulness meditation instruction would probably
improve, though some other adjustments might also be necessary. I think M's
greatest accomplishment as far a meditation is concerned was the checking
process.

Eventually the 'depth' of meditation goes away as the fiction of transcendence
becomes apparent, and what used to be a deep inner experience is now the
surface of everything and one is left only with mindfulness, which in the Pali
language probably means 'clear awareness' rather than mindfulness. Mindfulness
properly done is not forced, and is not necessarily concentrative any more than
TM. Research on mindfulness may be complicated by variations in mindfulness
techniques. The main reason mindfulness is the most researched meditation is it
is basically free and non proprietary and is easily adaptable to scientific
research requirements, as it does not have the Church of the TMO hovering over
the process.

It may also be that certain individuals are more comfortable with one kind of
meditation than another. Because only 10% to 20% of TM meditators continue with
the practice, it is clear that it does not do the trick for many people.

Everybody has self awareness, everybody is conscious, everybody has the same
amount; the nature of that self awareness varies because of the mind's
conditioning. Early on Maharishi said it was the mind that expands, not
consciousness, consciousness stays the same. So when we meditate we are not
really becoming more conscious, the vehicle of experience is being modified,
presumably for the better and for clearer functioning and perception of what is
already the case. Whichever meditation floats someone's boat, it is OK with me.

Mentally retarded individuals probably would have much more problem with
mindfulness, which in most settings requires more self initiative, and
intelligence (which they lack) to grasp the method than TM which is rather
easy; so it would probably benefit mentally retarded individuals to try TM
first. They may not even be able to do that.

The self referral loop is basically a function of how much the mind is divided;
if the mind is not divided, there is no self referral loop because everything
is perceived as having the same essential value. The self referral loop is a
measure of how far the mind is from recognising its own true nature. The loop
is large when the mind is in deep ignorance of its true nature, and it becomes
shallower if there is progress toward clarity.