I just saw a photo essay about all the old resorts, Grossingers was featured. I
enjoyed LM, though it was decaying and leaking by the time I arrived -- I did
used to walk the grounds myself sometimes, and it was beautiful, in the fall
and winter. That was quite an intro to the TMO. They had a ping pong table, and
a baker named Barry, and cases of navel oranges. Speaking of which, TM can
cause addictions! I need orange juice, like water - absolutely incurable, and
it has spread to my daughter, poor thing (the OJ, not the TM! heaven
forbid...). You also reminded me of a coming of age movie set in the Poconos,
starring Richard Dreyfuss, I think, but I can't recall the title. Since you
probably played a game of handball with him today, I'll leave it at that...;-)

 Yeah, I don't ever recall getting breakfast in nyc. Slice of pizza in
Manhattan for lunch - During TM days, I used to drive a box truck from L. Manor
into the apple, going to The Bowery, and Brooklyn.

 I didn't experience much urban strife, growing up, more like rebellions, riots
and political stuff, but mostly running around in the heat and intensity of
Asia, orienting to new locales very quickly. Mebbe I mentioned before, the
vibrancy and compactness, great public trans., and water, made Hong Kong pretty
close to New York, in feel, though almost wholly a mercantile center and port,
and not really known for the arts. Speaking of arts, in the 70's, I did see the
movie Macarthur at Radio City Music Hall, and the Rockettes were on, too.
Haven't seen the Guggenheim, though I would very much like to.

 Enjoying your virtual apple.
 Dearest fleet,

Just returned from pizza, so i feel you.

I love Livingston Manor. Was a waiter when it was a resort. Later rounded.
Still later Residence Courses. Still later WPAs. Still later, my wife and I
enjoyed some weekend B&Bing. It is the locale of m,y youth, when NYC kids got
to go to 'the country' for the Summer.

I love the Rockettes! Christmas Show coming...

 I get it, Dan - I was insensitive. Its just that I watched Millionaire as *my*
favorite show (no kidding) and feel like it has really gone downhill, in the
last few years. As for Meredith, as I said, I LIKE her (public persona), but
whenever I see her on a show, it has been slipping in the ratings. She strikes
me as too nice a person for being on TV. Hey, if it makes you feel any better,
Bob Barker (The Emperor of The Price Is Right) was well known for sexually
harassing the models on the show - A real jerk. Glad they dumped him.

 Can we get past our game show spat? Our shared passion about it cracks me up.
PS I am sure your wife is awesome and beautiful, inside and out, else you would
not be with her.

 Speaking of dangerous nyc, which borough did you grow up in?

Da Bronx

The Bronks (named for the landowner family)

I grew up in the South Bronx. You did learn to get along with people of many
backgrounds. I was never afraid because everyone knew I was from the
neighborhood. My dear mother disarmed a kid when I was little, so I learned a
lot about courage.

Worse things happened though. Like having my sister's bike stolen when I'd
'borrowed' it. Or a fight in the lot next to our apt building (no playgrounds,
just empty lots) with some white kids who were taunting my black friend 'from
the block'. I took a beating, but next day, those boys were all f' d-up. My
friend had an older brother, and all the Brothers went after them. Nice
memories. I loved that place. Even though it was mean. I never felt that way.

I don't eat Cheerios, I had bagel & cream cheese. Never eaten breakfast here?
We don't do boxes.

Good thing I am such a calm person. I didn't overreact when you wrote your
initial Cheerios post. That's what make for peace and understanding between
people.

I think I know you better now. And still want to get to know more.

 Yeah, Millionaire used to be good, when it first started. Now a cheesy show,
that makes contestants work waaay too hard for small prizes. When was the last
time anyone won a million on that show? Pretty much any time Meredith Vieira
shows up, a show is done for - much as I like her, she is the kiss of death.
And now they are changing hosts more often than underwear. However I did learn,
watching Millionaire a couple of days ago, that there is a secret tennis court
inside the top of Disney's Matterhorn, for employees only.

 Another fave: Family Feud with Steve Harvey. These shows with stand up
comedians as MCs usually do well, because the host knows how to keep the show
going, no matter what.

 Wheel of Fortune remains the bottom of the barrel, game show wise.
Fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I didn't say shit about The Fucking Price is Right, but you feel it's just fine
to TRASH MY LOVELY WIFE'S FAVORITE SHOW! Well it ain't.

Meredith Vieira and my wife workout together in the Health Club downstairs, and
Ms Vieira has a disabled husband.

And fuck Steve Harvey!

You will never be well greeted in NYC with that approach to other people.

And NYC is a dangerous place.

 yeah, we are both busted. I also have a serious and dark confession to make: I
absolutely love the tv show, "The Price Is Right!", now with Drew Carey.
Yesterday a woman who's occupation is *Party Princess* (kids' parties), won
100,000 and a car. She was happy. I enjoy numbers, and money is the religion
here, so it fascinates me to decide whether the aspirin or the muffins are a
higher price (it is almost always the OTC medical product), and watch the
genuine excitement and choices of the contestants....I also like this show
because unlike Wheel Of Fortune, and Let's Make A Deal, they don't scrimp on
prizes. Anyway, instead of reading the Sam Harris book, I'd rather watch my
price is right show.

 Nice revelation and one that takes guts too.

 I might pick up the Sam Harris book, or maybe not because the excerpt bawee
posted here was weally, weally elementary and kinda dumb. I don't have to be
told how to pick a guru. First I don't want a guru and second, I can figure out
those obvious point by point tips myself - find a guru that hasn't been
convicted of a crime or molested a child or raped anyone. LOL.

We do share something in common!

Surprised?

I bet.

It's just that I too, just like you

am so put off by Barry's Review

that I am unable to read the book itself.

A new kinda book review.

And...fleet:

my lovely wife watches Millionaire.

We went to the Studio

Snuck in for the Show

Disillusioning.

 Excellent! Yo, Ann! Are you thinking, what I'm thinking??? A skirt, a wig =
Unstoppable. Another Secretariat.

 I know, I can't watch a man running without mentally dressing him in boas and
sequins and the errant bustier. I mean, how much flashier and head-turning
would that make it? Secretariat got to carry a man wearing silks so that is
pretty in keeping too.

 BTW, are we in trouble for not talking about Sam Harris and posting pictures
of drag queens instead? I mean, are we "off the program" here?

  • [FairfieldLife] Re: ... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife]... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [FairfieldL... danfriedman2002
        • [Fairfi... fleetwood_macnche...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]