 Sal proclaims:

 The body is a complex system that requires energy to run, the claim here is
that there is some magical form of energy from nowhere that removes the need
for food. I call BS.

I daresay before anyone knew the mechanics of photosynthesis the concept of
creating energy and sustaining life through the energy of the light emitted
from the sun seemed "magical" and coming "from nowhere".

 <Sigh> Yes but humans, and all other animals, are observed to die if they
don't eat and drink. It isn't a mystery. The claimed mystery here is that some
guy doesn't need to do either and somehow he survives because he prays a lot.
Can plants do that? If they could your theory would be on slightly stronger
ground, as it is I'll wager people knew what plants required in terms of water
and shade long before they understood photosynthesis, even if they did blame
droughts etc on the gods, we've been farming for 10,000 years after all. So
they knew what killed them just as they knew to avoid depriving themselves of
what is quite obviously needed.
 Unless you are suggesting that this guy, alone amongst humans, can
photosynthesise or something?
 Not at all, in fact I don't, for one moment, think this man has not eaten for
70 years - preposterous! And I don't need to think I am a scientist to believe
this. But my point is merely that, generally, there is much more in this world
for all of us to discover (how great is that?) and that there are still many
mysteries and eyebrow-raising things to uncover - one way or another. For some,
they are content to read a thing and believe, for others they need to observe
something again and again and think about it in their own subjective way to be
satisfied something is true and for others who make a living at it they spend
months and often years subjecting something to rigorous (scientific) testing.
All I was commenting on here was your statement about some "magical" energy
source and to me photosynthesis qualifies. It seemed a relevant comment on my
part at the time YMMV.