---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <seerdope@...> wrote :

 Turquoise said: "...And someone should add that "witnessing sleep" may not
mean shit.  ... Such as that there is a subset of patients who complain that
they "Never fall asleep." ... When hooked up to machines to monitor their
physiology during sleep, these folks *are*, in fact, experiencing all of the
classic cycles of sleep, along with their accompanying REM or lack of REM
activity...."

 Of the four stages of Non-REM sleep, in Stage 1, upon wakening, one may feel
as if he or she has not slept. In Stage 2, muscles relax, we lose consciousness
of the environment, etc as a preparation for deep sleep. This is not yet deep
sleep and a sense of inner wakefulness in Stage 2 is more likely than in deep
sleep.

 Stages 3 and 4 are the deep sleep states. However, as we age, Stages 3 and 4
become less, often significantly.

 Stage 1 and 2 of Non REM sleep are more conducive of the experience of being
awake / conscious (though not necessarily of the environment). Those past 50
and / or with sleep disorders that reduce or eliminate stage 3 and 4 stage non
REM sleep may be more likely to experience "witnessing sleep".

 Reduction or elimination of Stage 3 and 4 Non REM sleep is not a good thing. A
strong Stage 3 and 4 sleep architecture is important for many sleep and waking
functions. Lack of sleep (not exclusively stage 3 and 4, however, however weak
stage 3 and 4 negatively affect other sleep stages) contributes to lower
proficiency in most cognitive functions, including memory consolidation and
working memory. Working memory is a highly critical factor in intelligence and
performance across a wide span of activities. Lack of adequate sleep also
contributes to attention disorders, including the tendency of the mind to
wander, not being able to sustain attention on a focussed task.

 Sparaig points out that the study shows positive correlation of witnessing
sleep with wandering mind -- which raises the question of whether (one of many
possible hypotheses and models ) the states experienced by the subjects are due
to reduced quality of sleep (poor stage 3 and 4 sleep architectured) resulting
in attention deficits, reduced working memory capacity, and subsequent
reduction of applied intelligence .

 I hope bawee is reading your posts because you sound like you know what you're
talking about. It is a lot more refreshing than reading bawee's knee-jerk (did
I say "jerk"?) simple-minded reactions to everything that exist merely to try
and make others look ignorant and small. Stick around, you and Salyavin might
have some things in common.

Thanks for taking up this Issue, while I needed to step away to reread Sleep
and Dreams: A Sourcebook Compiled by Jayne Gackenbach.

Here's some sense (and my 2 cents):

"The following is a description of witnessing dreaming described by a subject:
'Often during dreaming I am awake inside, in a very peaceful, blissful state.
Dreams come and go, thoughts about the dreams come and go, but I remian in a
deeply peaceful state, completely separate from the dreams and the thoughts. My
body is asleep and inert, breathing goes on regularly and mechanically, and
inside I am just aware that I am' Gackenbach, J. and LaBerge, S (1986)"

  • [FairfieldLife]... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • Re... lengli...@cox.net [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [F... seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]