Yup, Vonnegut was a meditator. They got an intelligence machine in Fairfield at
the Maharishi University there too. In the same way that creative intelligence
is consciousness the machine there measures consciousness in people, maybe even
dogs too.
  In fact a whole reason that Maharishi University and the meditating community
came to Fairfield, Iowa was Vonnegut. Vonnegut had started TM out in Cambridge
from the early Maharishi Harvard lecture. He liked TM so much that he had his
whole young family learn it then. Later Vonnegut got a job teaching for some
years at the Iowa Writers Workshop. I myself learned TM back then because of
Vonnegut. And some others too learned TM in Iowa because of Vonnegut coming to
Iowa. Pretty soon after the initial initations back then 5% of Iowa City had
learned transcending meditation. Then it was 10% and then 15% back in those
days. Quite a bunch of us Iowa City mediators subsequently met Maharishi and
became teachers of his transcending meditation and fanned out from there. After
some time when a home was needed to house the then young Maharishi University
some Iowa meditators arranged for it to come to Fairfield, Iowa. The rest is
history because of Vonnegut.
 An old Iowa meditator now, I was there.
 Jai Kurt Vonnegut-ji,
 -Buck in the Dome

 turquoiseb writes :

 Glad you enjoyed it. Kurt is more well-known for his novels, but his short
stories are often real gems, too.