For the record, when exactly did TMers develop such a "groupie mentality,"
willing to fall all over themselves gushing over some supposed celebrity who
had once learned TM, and feeling more self-important *themselves*, as if some
of the celebrity's greatness had rubbed off on *them* because this person had
also once gathered up fruit, flowers and handkerchief and paid for a mantra?

Buck is living in the distant past, and in an attempt to find a "TM
spokesperson" to replace Stephen Collins is conveniently ignoring the fact that
Kurt Vonnegut did not think as highly of Maharishi as he'd like you to believe.

>From "The Gospel from Outer Space (Or, Yes We Have No Nirvanas)" --

"Maharishi replied that any oppressed person could rise by practicing
Transcendental Mediation. He would automatically do his job better, and
the economy would pay him more, and then he could buy anything he
wanted. He wouldn’t be oppressed anymore. In other words, he should quit
bitching, begin to meditate, grasp his garters, and float into a
commanding position in the marketplace, where transactions are always
fair.

"And I opened my eyes, and I took a hard look at Maharishi. He
hadn’t wafted me to India. He had sent me back to Schenectady, New York, where
I used to be a public-relations man—years and years ago. That was where I had
heard other euphoric men talk of the human condition in
terms of switches and radios and the fairness of the marketplace. They,
too, thought it was ridiculous for people to be unhappy, when there were so
many simple things they could do to improve their lot. They, too,
had Bachelor of Science degrees. Maharishi had come all the way from
India to speak to the American people like a General Electric engineer."

Also, from a letter to the New York Times written by Vonnegut scholar Dan
Wakefield after his death:

To the Editor:

I am sorry that Kurt Vonnegut “seemed sad” when Kurt Andersen met him in 1980;
the experience appears to set the tone for Andersen’s
dismissively elegiac view of Vonnegut’s work (“True to Character,” Oct. 28). He
wonders if the reason he did not love Vonnegut’s later
novels was that “I was no longer an adolescent” or that “the ’60s were
long over” and adds, with mock regret, “Alas, for Vonnegut, the
countercultural moment was short-lived.”

Ironically, Vonnegut was really a counter-counterculture figure. He
disrobed Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in a satiric essay for Esquire called
“Yes, We Have No Nirvanas” and skewered transcendental meditation by
citing a Western technique that achieves the same results — “reading
short stories,” which Vonnegut called “Buddhist catnaps.”