I'm sure what you've written below, Barry, is the "usual", but my God, what
pent up demand there must be when there is not an opening for the "usual".

 You are just going to town.  A welcome relief, I guess.

 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 Sometimes I think that Maharishi's "greatest accomplishment" should be listed
as having taken so many at-one-time-fairly-intelligent people and, over time,
turned them into weak-minded, gullible idiots like jr_esq, Share, srijau,
Lawson, and others we see from time to time here on FFL. These people will
believe *anything* if 1) they're told that Maharishi or some other Seller Of
Woo Woo believed in it, and 2) it makes them feel more self-important and
'special' for believing it.

 The stuff they believe doesn't need to be reasonable, it doesn't need to
follow the laws of physics or chemistry, and it doesn't depend on any kind of
evidence. In fact, when presented with evidence that proves their belief to be
nonsense, they believe even more strongly. Truly an accomplishment...

 Yes indeed, something to be proud of.

The sad thing is that he (Maharishi) *would* actually be proud of it. He'd
think of it as the triumph of faith. He'd smile and tell the story of
Trotakacharya again.  :-)

 I first came across it when attending a "coherence" day at the local academy
(where I later lived) we were in the garden on a starry night and looking
around the night sky and I was pointing out various things of interest like
which planets were which and how far the nearest galaxy is when this purusha
guy turned to me and said "And just think it's all consciousness". What's
troubling is it was said with an intimation that it was an improvement or a
superior explanation to "just" thinking that the universe is made of energy and
stuff.

 It worries me because scientific and religious explanations don't mix very
well but the quantum crowd think they've found a way of fitting the one into
the other, or at least blinding people with enough abstract concepts so they
think the two things belong together.

 It does annoy me too because people, like John, seem genuinely interested in
physics and the sort of things it explains really well and the amazing
discoveries and concepts of cosmology. But with this training in vedic beliefs
he gets from the TMO he doesn't have a way of grading the knowledge for
quality.

Exactly. The *only* measure of "quality" he seems to employ is "If it agrees
with what I've been told to believe...then it is good, and correct." The most
disturbing thing about John (jr_esq, not Hagelin, but him, too) is that they no
longer even *realize* how non-scientific they've become when they spout what
they now believe is "science." Put either of them in a room with real
scientists and let them express the things they believe in, and the real
scientists would have them pegged as crackpots within five minutes. After 20
minutes, the real scientists would running for the door, so as not to be stuck
in a room with a crazy person any longer.

There are only two types of explanation, good ones and bad ones. Consciousness
in this context seems like a bad one because (like god) it actually explains
nothing, adds nothing useful and in fact, adds a layer of complexity where it
isn't needed...

Exactly. Almost without exception, all of their theories about how the universe
works are more complex than the real scientific explanations. It's like they've
become proponents of the Anti-Occam's Razor Principle.

...because consciousness is a thing in this theory, a field of pure awareness
and intelligence. All of these things imply a direction to creation and
evolution that it doesn't seem to have. And it obviously requires another
explanation beyond the equations describing quantum behaviour, and it would be
an explanation along the lines of intelligence processing etc. Bit of a tall
order for something we can't even measure!

 It's OK for John Hagelin to believe that this is the case but he shouldn't
start his lectures without a major caveat to the effect that he's trying to fit
what he knows of physics into an ancient belief system and that no one else
agrees with him. Apart from the other yagya pedlars on the conference circuit
obviously.

In this sense, Hagelin is actually closer to the role that Charlie Lutes played
within the TM movement than anything else. Charlie used to pepper his talks
with all sorts of esoteric crap that he'd learned from his days studying
Western Mysticism. Which would have been fine, except that he didn't *present*
it that way. He implied that everything he was saying came from Maharishi, and
was therefore part of Maharishi's teachings. Hagelin does the same thing with
his own crackpot theories, presenting them as if they were real science, when
they're not.

The thing I see in people like jr_esq, Jim, srijau, Share, and Nabby (not to
mention Hagelin and Tony Nader) is that in their supposed "quest for knowledge"
their minds seem to turn off the instant they hear (or think up) an
"explanation" or conspiracy theory that makes them go "Woooooo." It's an
emotional thang IMO. They "seek knowledge" until they find something that
agrees with what they've already been told to believe and thus gives them an
endorphin rush of self-importance. At that point their minds shut down and stop
functioning. Just think of the way that jr_esq keeps trotting out a medieval
"proof" of God's existence that has been discredited for hundreds of years. The
moment he heard it, and found something that he could consider "proof" of what
he already wanted to believe, he stopped listening to anything else.

I tend to believe that Faith is synonymous with Willful Ignorance.

The moment you decide that you "know" the "truth" of something, that is the
point at which you stop looking for deeper truths and being open to new
information.