From: "Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

On 10/10/2014 06:59 PM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

>From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
>

>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>

>On 10/10/2014 01:04 PM, salyavin808 wrote:
>

>>>Believe if you want that some
                                      billionaire in a
                                      cave in Afghanistan ran the whole
                                      operation but that
                                      really sounds
                                      wacky! :-D

>>>Ran the whole operation? You mean got some guys to hijack a few planes? It's
>>>too simple isn't it. That's the problem people have, they can't believe that
>>>much destruction was caused by a few maniacs in hijacked planes.
>>>
>>But it was not that simple.  And the alleged fliers couldn't even fly a
>>Cessna properly let alone a jet.  Those planes were remote controlled and
>>such systems were available in advance of 9-11.I disagree, I think they were
>>telepathically controlled by the Space Brothers from their secret base on
>>Pluto.
>
> Weak minds glom onto conspiracy theories the same way that weak minds follow
> cult leaders. That's all anyone ever needs to know about discussions like
> this.

Are you inferring that I'm a weak mind, Barry?  What's happened to you?
Getting old and cranky and the contracts not showing up like they used too?

I am saying that a *tendency* to believe in conspiracy theories is a mental
disorder strongly linked to the mental disorder that attracts people to cults.
IMO, conspiracy theories offer those who tend to gravitate to them the same
thing that cults do -- 1) easy "answers" to complex questions, and 2) the
feeling of being "special," because you "know" the "truth" while lesser people
don't.

There have been many studies of conspiracy theories and why they've become so
popular. Here are a few articles on the subject. I really like one line from
this first one: "The best predictor of belief in a conspiracy theory is belief
in other conspiracy theories..." That, for me, indicates a *strong* link
between conspiracy nuts and cultists. Just think about Fairfield, and why
*every* huckster selling New Age potions and seminars and techniques comes
through town -- they do this because TMers, having been taught to believe *one*
set of improbable things (dare I mention "levitation" and "butt bounce for
peace"), are now primed to believe *more* improbable things. Fairfielders are
well known in the U.S. as being the Biggest Suckers In The Country -- if you
want to sell *anything* bizarre and New Agey, you take your snake oil routine
to Fairfield. Well, I'm suggesting that the same is true of conspiracy nuts --
once you've bought into one of them, and felt
 all "special" because you know the "truth" and "lesser" people around you
don't, you become an easy mark for the next conspiracy theory. And the next.
And the next. And...

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories

Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories
Psychologists are beginning to unravel the mystery behind this brand of
American political paranoia.
View on www.nytimes.com Preview by Yahoo

This next article also agrees with my personal theories about conspiracy
theories in another way: "Conspiracy theories offer easy answers by casting the
world as simpler and more predictable than it is." Neither conspiracy nuts nor
cultists like mysteries, things they "can't explain." So they tend to glom onto
the first easy "explanation" to ease their cognitive dissonance.

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories
Conspiracy theories offer easy answers by casting the world as simpler and more
predictable than it is. Their popularity may pose a threat to societal
well-being
View on www.scientificameri... Preview by Yahoo

 And back to the particular conspiracy theory that started all this:

9/11 Conspiracy Theories: Why Do People Believe In September 11 Conspiracies?

9/11 Conspiracy Theories: Why Do People Believe In Septe...
A deeper look into why people believe in 9/11 conspiracy theories.
View on www.ibtimes.com Preview by Yahoo
  • Re: [FairfieldLife] R... Bhairitu noozg...@sbcglobal.net [FairfieldLife]
    • RE: [FairfieldLi... 'Rick Archer' r...@searchsummit.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [FairfieldLi... salyavin808