Actually, the NIH is pretty cash-strapped these days and the competition is
very fierce for research grants, especially in a non-mainstream field like TM.
And $24 million to study TM isn't the same as $200,000, or $800,000.

 TM researchers are very aware of this, and while privately funded TM pilot
studies still get published (the pilot studies on PTSD in Uganda were paid for
by teh DLF, for example), when TM researchers go after public funding, they are
REALLY careful in how they design the studies. Only the best designs with the
most plausible rationale are going to get the money, and since the data from
NIH-funded studies, by law, must be made easily available to the public, even
if the study never gets published, there's very strong incentive to ONLY use
NIH grants for studies where TM researchers are pretty darned positive that TM
will shine.

 Here's an example of a proposed design for a new TM study:

 Design and rationale of a comparative ef... [Contemp Clin Trials. 2014] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25066921

 Design and rationale of a comparative ef... [Contemp Clin Trials. 2014] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25066921 PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25066921
 Preview by Yahoo

 It will be pretty cool if that study gets funded by the NIH. Of course, I
expect TM to do well in treating PTSD, so I am most interested in seeing the
results of the genetic analysis component of the study. That is the new darling
for TM research, as it could be done for any kind of study--psychological,
neurological, cardio, pure consciousness, enlightenment--anything.

 It is a very 21st Century thing to suspect that there are genetic and
epigentic factors that influence how people respond to therapies, including TM.

 For example, is there a genetic or measurable epigenetic component for why
some people show breath suspension during pure consciousness while others
don't? Likewise with experience of "bliss" during TM?
  [I've never had "bliss" the way David Lynch describes, even as the aftermath
of what I believe are pure consciousness episodes, and yet he says that every
meditation period is extremely blissful]

 What about Yogic Flying and other TM-SIdhis practice? Is hopping during Yogic
Flying predictable on a genetic/epigenetic level? Does YF influence things
epigenetically in a measurable way?

 [any experience or activity almost certainly creates an epigenetic change, so
"measurable" needs to be inserted here]

 Could epigenetic testing help guide recommendations to make TM and Yogic
Flying more effective? Could it be used to augment/replace Ayurvedic
consultations?

 Those are questions that could occupy researchers for another 100 years, even
if TM research suddenly became even more popular than mindfulness studies.

 [By the way, "genital washing" in South Africa might be a REALLY important
issue. STDs are rampant throughout Africa due to various social and hygiene
issues.  Would you object to an $800,000 study on ways to improve health
education to help fight the spread of Ebola, even if said study was simply
about finding more effective ways of convincing people to wash their hands?]

 Address what I said to him. How is that stupid? I showed quite clearly that he
is a liar. The NIH hands out money to just about anyone who can write a grant
proposal. You might even be able to get a few million to study why TM'er are
more predisposed to become slavish minded dumbasses later in life. But in the
final analysis society will be better off studying the way South Africans wash
their balls than bullshit studies on TM's weak and non-existent "benefits" -
most of TM's modern benefits are lining the TMO's pockets.