Different meditation traditions have different interpretations of what mantras
are, and how they should be used.

 While I don't have access to either book, I've been able to read excerpts
through amazon.com and google books:

 Ritual and Mantras: Rules without Meaning
http://www.amazon.com/Ritual-Mantras-Rules-without-Meaning/dp/8120814118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411674554&sr=8-3&keywords=mantra+staal

http://www.amazon.com/Ritual-Mantras-Rules-without-Meaning/dp/8120814118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411674554&sr=8-3&keywords=mantra+staal

 Ritual and Mantras: Rules without Meaning
http://www.amazon.com/Ritual-Mantras-Rules-without-Meaning/dp/8120814118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411674554&sr=8-3&keywords=mantra+staal
 Ritual and Mantras: Rules without Meaning [Frits Staal] on Amazon.com. *FREE*
shipping on qualifying offers. Rituals and Mantras: Rules without Me...

 View on www.amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Ritual-Mantras-Rules-without-Meaning/dp/8120814118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411674554&sr=8-3&keywords=mantra+staal

 Preview by Yahoo

 Understanding Mantras
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mantras-Harvey-P-Alper/dp/8120807464/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411674614&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mantras-Harvey-P-Alper/dp/8120807464/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411674614&sr=1-1

 Understanding Mantras
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mantras-Harvey-P-Alper/dp/8120807464/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411674614&sr=1-1
 Understanding Mantras [Harvey P. Alper] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on
qualifying offers. Understanding Mantras explores the origin, nature, function,
an...

 View on www.amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mantras-Harvey-P-Alper/dp/8120807464/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411674614&sr=1-1

 Preview by Yahoo

 Maharishi's take on how mantras are meaningless is quite traditional--for some
people. It's utter nonsense for others, and that is why there is confusion
about whether or not Maharishi is "telling the truth" about mantras. There's
MANY different traditions, and probably sub-traditions within the traditions.

 Likewise, keeping a mantra as a mental thing never to be written down or
spoken aloud appears to be traditional as well--for SOME traditions, and again,
there's variations there as well.

 Best to think of TM as its own tradition with its own rules, rather than
trying to justify every little thing that MMY said. Afterall, MMY himself
implied that much of what he taught was via intuition (and/or trial and error).

 By all accounts, the early courses on the TM-SIdhis were substantially
different than how they are taught now, for example.

 The biggest problem with TM is though it tried to be secular it is not secular
enough.  Maharishi goofed by saying that the mantras are meaningless sounds.
They are "attributed" to the Hindu pantheon but are really just sounds.  The
pantheon itself is made up as analogies to forces in nature.  It just so
happens that those sounds work well and may be better than others. Even my
tantra guru thought they were arrived at by trial and error.  And as I have
mentioned many a time beej mantras can be used by anyone and it doesn't take a
puja to activate them.  It's long mantras like the Advanced Technique that
required special handling.

 On 10/11/2014 05:16 AM, Michael Jackson mjackson74@... mailto:mjackson74@...