 Painted caves challenge art origins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29415716 The discovery of
40,000-year-old artworks in Indonesian caves challenges established views on
the origins of humans' artistic capabilities.

 View on www.bbc.co.uk http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29415716
 Preview by Yahoo

 Very cool. And also, every hand outlined was a left hand indicating the artist
was right handed or, if there were more than one hand depicted, many of the
artists were right handed. Some things don't change.

 Well spotted, I wonder when that arose in humanity, and why?

 Ice age art is my favourite thing, I went to a show at the British Museum
called "The arrival of the modern mind" because all the works there showed that
our distant ancestors had the same capacity for mental abstraction, metaphor
and representation. It's like the complexity of modern art appeared fully
formed one day and we just set about painting.

 I posted this the other day, it really is well worth a look if you like this
sort of thing:

 Cave_of_forgotten_dreams http://vimeo.com/32371643

 http://vimeo.com/32371643

 Cave_of_forgotten_dreams http://vimeo.com/32371643 Prepare to be shocked.
30,000 years old art.

 View on vimeo.com http://vimeo.com/32371643
 Preview by Yahoo

 There are odd things here though, the fact the cave was in use for 20,000
years makes me wonder why there are so few pictures on the walls, in one place
you see a row of galloping horses and some of them were painted many thousands
of years apart. That's like the people who built Stonehenge putting the stones
up and leaving it for all that time and then me going along and finishing it
yesterday. Why did they go in so infrequently? They obviously didn't live in
the cave, did so many generations really pass before another painting was done?
So many questions, and we can only guess at the answers.