But one man's cultish nonsense is another man's profoundly spiritual insight...

 People assume that MMY could never do wrong, and so they always went with his
program/project/practice _du jour_

 Others assume that when MMY came up something they perceived as off-the-wall,
it meant he had gone off teh deep end.

 My own take is that MMY never had a clue when something was going to work or
not until he tried it, and the stuff that "stuck" to the wall, is the stuff
that he embraced as valid.

 In every case (stick-able or not) he had to find an intellectual reason for
why he suggested something, and so he made something up to explain things.
Sometimes those reasons sounded plausible and sometimes they didn't.

 Sometimes something he did turned out to be very good, even though he had no
idea why it was very good.

 Example of this last: the Rajas and their golden crowns. Totally crazy, and
yet, the schism that resulted occurred BEFORE his death and not after. By the
time he died, everywhere in the world outside of India, the TM organization had
already restructured itself to work with the new hierarchy of Those Who Wear
Crowns, while those who couldn't deal with such craziness had already left.

 The result was an almost drama-less succession for Good King Tony (outside of
India).

 Brilliant... even though I'm  almost positive that MMY hadn't really thought
of things that way.