http://www.healthcentral.com/newsdetail/408/1507251.html

Meditation Linked to Structural Changes in Brain

The regular practice of meditation seems to produce structural changes
in areas of the brain associated with attention and sensory
processing, a new study suggests.

The imaging study, led by Massachusetts General Hospital researchers,
found that particular areas of the cerebral cortex, the outer layer of
the brain, were thicker in participants who were experienced
practitioners of a type of meditation commonly practiced in the United
States and other western
countries.

The findings appear in the Nov. 15 issue of NeuroReport, and are also
to be presented Monday at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in
Washington, D.C.

"Our results suggest that meditation can produce experience-based
structural alterations in the brain," said study author Sara Lazar, of
the hospital's Psychiatric Neuroimaging Research Program. "We also
found evidence that meditation may slow down the aging-related atrophy
of certain areas of the brain."