 You are being too kind -

 Actually, I thought I was being successfully rather sarcastic!

 I thought it was a really good post, I gave it two stars.

 Not too shabby, especially as I've got a stinking cold.

 Maybe double-edged would be a better description than sarcastic.

 I was serious though, even though I don't believe in it I think it's good that
it's being tested again and with so many that it will leave us in no doubt.  I
can't imagine what the TMO will do when they don't have a leg to stand on
regarding the Maharishi Effect. I know they'll just carry on regardless but
they should take heed that we'll always be able to point to this and say "what
about...". Unless it turns out they are right of course, in which case it'll be
humble pie for the sceptics unless we're all too enlightened to care!

 Here is the thing, why isn't a meditation technique good enough to hang your
hat on as a Movement? Why bother to start claiming all sorts of "Maharishi
Effects" when all anyone really needs is a sound meditation technique? I don't
know if TM is the greatest or bestest out there because I don't like sitting
during my waking hours with my eyes closed when there is so much else to do and
see so I simply don't scope out other techniques to compare. But the ME? I
don't believe any of it for a minute. But why is the ME even necessary to put
out there? If human beings are benefiting personally from a technique then the
whole world should benefit due to the individuals becoming happier, calmer,
more grounded.

 I quite agree, but you don't know the half of it.

 The movement has simply the most extraordinary worldview with revolutionary
ideas encompassing and governing literally every aspect of life - the
constitution of the universe. You don't just have a human body, you have one
that's created by vedic literature. You don't just have a mind, it really is
the unified field of all things and only TM can show you the truth of the way
things are.

 I think it's about self aggrandisement, instead of being just a technique it's
about being the greatest group of any kind ever. Something to feel elite about,
and it has the secret language that keeps the brethren close and reinforces the
belief system. It's also better for the organisation that instead of just
meditating you are creating world peace - once you've swallowed the concept of
non-local consciousness you find there is a range of "technologies" like
yagya's for you to invest in that help both you and the world.

 When you get into thinking in a TMO way, the world is a very different place
and the completeness of it is impressive, health, education, war. All
controlled by this unified field thingy that, if you are in touch with it,
brings you great advantage in life. Nature support is what they call it, people
who meditate get better luck. At least according to the theory. I never noticed
it and never saw it in anyone else, just like I didn't with any other of the
products they sell.

 As a body of work vedic "science" is highly impressive, consistent and has an
internal logic that - if it was true - would be the greatest discovery ever.
Which is exactly how it's promoted, you get into it bit-by-bit until you've
been on enough courses for it to sink in and it takes over how you interpret
everything. I was lucky in that I'd read a bit of physics and knew that the
unified field hadn't been discovered and that, even if it had, it wasn't likely
to be consciousness for a great many reasons. That helped me stay at a distance
from it but I did inevitably get sucked further in when I went to work for them.

 As religious belief systems go it's harmless enough, probably no worse than
the Jehova's Witnesses or ISKCON, you can at least function in the real world
as long as you don't try and tell your work mates about the Constitution of the
Universe!

 Would they have been better off just teaching TM? Maybe not, with a hardcore
of devotees that think they are creating world peace by bringing back the
greatest wisdom the world has ever seen, you can maybe get more teaching done
than if it was taught casually by part-timers. It's also self-perpetuating now
that anyone they approve of can become a teacher and the knowledge is highly
protected, more so than if it was something you could get out of a book that
just help you feel a bit refreshed on the train on the way home from work.

 The belief system was also fantastic at making money, at least for a while.
Not really sure how well they do in the internet age, especially as there are
independents taking a big cut from the central office.

 I like meditating but as for the rest of it, does it make sense? not really.
Is it a good explanation of reality? I don't think so. Might even be the worst
I've come across. Does it matter? People can believe what they like, my only
problem is when they teach children but that goes for any religion. That people
accept it at all is interesting as it all stems from the sense of unboundedness
you experience in meditation, to get such a huge philosophical leap from that
is impressive but I think it's in error as an explanation for the experience,
but I know where the devotion for it comes from.

  • Re: [FairfieldL... Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [Fairf... salyavin808
        • Re... salyavin808
            • ... salyavin808