I know, California real estate is unreal (literally IMO and is not
stable at current levels.) Thats one reason I left the state, having
been born, raised, educated and careered there. Housing prices are
just in fairyland compared to many other "nice" areas. And with
broadband internet being most everywhere (and soon to be wireless, and
literally EVERYWHERE, location is less and less important IMO,
particularly if you can make a living not tied physically to a large
hub business center.)

Compare a $500,000 or million dollar home in SF, San Diego or Sac to
one in FF. Its a joke.

But the mortgage deduction still applies to the 350k bungalow. The
proposals are for it to be partially taken away for the kind of basic
$million middle class home close to it.

And long run, thats a good thing, it will help bring housing and
affordability back into synch. 15% affordibility rates are crazy and
unsustainable.